Why won't my 14 mo old drink milk I have tried every kind even ovaltine...I am still breastfeeding...will she ever drink milk...I am worried about calcium?

mommyofemmy

Asked by mommyofemmy at 11:44 PM on Oct. 7, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Try mixing it...1/4th milk 3/4 BM and keep changing it one week at a time untill its all milk...thats what i had to do with my son...good luck
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 11:46 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• She doesn't have to drink milk to get calcium. You can give her yogurt or dark leafy greens or even just have her chew Tums (my BIL was lactose intolerant as a child and his mom just gave him a couple Tums every day). Don't worry too much about it and don't force her to drink milk if she doesn't want to.
    arouthier

Answer by arouthier at 11:46 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• take a calcium suppliment. Your baby will probably not want both. One or the other...
    ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 11:47 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Keep nursing. Skip the milk. Feed her other foods...http://www.healthdiaries.com/eatthis/15-non-dairy-foods-high-in-calcium.html

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:51 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Contrary to popular belief, you don't need to drink your milk in order to get your calcium.

The government recommendation for adults ages 19-50 is 1000 mg of calcium per day. One cup of milk has 296 mg, but there are plenty of reasons you might not to drink milk, from personal preference to medical reasons.

Here are 15 foods high in calcium that don't come from a cow:

Sesame Seeds
    A quarter cup of sesame seeds has 351 mg calcium.

Spinach
    A cup of boiled spinach has 245 mg.

Collard Greens
    A cup of boiled collard greens has 266 mg.

Blackstrap Molasses
    One tablespoon has about 137 mg.

Kelp
    One cup of raw kelp has 136 mg.

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:52 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Tahini
    Two tablespoons of raw tahini (sesame seed butter) have 126 mg.

Broccoli
    Two cups of boiled broccoli have 124 mg.

Swiss Chard
    One cup of boiled chard has 102 mg.

Kale
    One cup of boiled kale has 94 mg.

Brazil Nuts
    Two ounces of Brazil nuts (12 nuts) have 90 mg.

Celery
    Two cups of raw celery have 81 mg.

Almonds
    One ounce of almonds (23 nuts) has 75 mg.

Papaya
    One medium papaya has 73 mg.

Flax Seeds
    Two tablespoons of flax seeds have 52 mg.

Oranges
    One medium orange has 52 mg.

As you can see, eating a varied diet rich in dark leafy greens, fruit, nuts, and seeds will give you plenty of calcium and you'll get so many other health benefits from these foods as well.
    BradenIsMySon

• o still nurse my 14 month old, he is starting to drink milk, we started with drinkable yougurts he likes those
    lasombrs

Answer by lasombrs at 11:52 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• slowly ween her from the breast and give her a little karo syrup in her milk or try nestle quik chocolate powder don't use a lot of the powder just enough to barely change the taste of the milk nestle quik has less sugar than the other powdered chocolate milk mixes also try warming the milk a little breast milk is usually pretty warm
    beckybuck

Answer by beckybuck at 11:54 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• They really don't need that much to get calcium. If your child eats cheese and yogurt...you are probably fine!
    I didn't give my son milk to drink until after that age, because he was also nursing...and eating a pretty well balanced diet. I would NOT recommend sweetening the milk though! You may get him/her hooked on the sugar.
    I warmed it up for the first few months...and it was ONLY at night leading up to night weaning.
    Also,we call it "treat milk". Calling anything a "treat" is like magic in our house. Maybe give it a special cup/bottle and special name?
    boomamma

Answer by boomamma at 11:55 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Why does everyone believe that you HAVE to have cow milk? Cow milk is for baby cows. She can eat good for her foods. And either drink water or Human milk. Why wean? Why sweeten the damn milk. She isn't even 2? That is not good. I would rather feed her good and let her nurse still or drink water than to ever get her hooked on sweetened milk.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:58 PM on Oct. 7, 2010