How did you housebreak your dog?

I love my Dane mix, I really REALLY do. But I am at my wits end with her. I try to do everything the books say to do, we've done obedience classes, I walk her twice a day about a mile each time even though really she just drags me. She's 7 months old and seventy pounds, and I'm still struggling with getting her fully housebroken. So, step by step, how did you housebreak your dogs? She has been to the vet, there is nothing wrong with her that they could find. So obviously I'm not doing something right here and I don't know what.

VeggieMuslima

Asked by VeggieMuslima at 11:52 PM on Oct. 7, 2010 in Pets

• Take her out on the hour ever hour. Stay outside with her until she goes. Then, praise her when she does. I am talking about shouting, screaming happiness. Then, give her a treat.

While she is inside, clip a 6 foot lead to her and tie it around your waist. That way she can't go anywhere that you don't go. This will keep her close and keep her from wandering and peeing in the house.

It's tough, its time consuming but she will get it. If she does pee in the house DO NOT, scream at her, hit her, rub her nose it, shake the scruff of her neck, or kick her. That will only make her afraid of you. Be consistent and she will get it.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 12:35 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• dogs are smart animals. you should take her out 3 to 4 times aday to give her a chance and they don't have to be extra long. she just needs a routine. if they have a routine. it should get easier cos they know at this time i am going out and at this time i am goin to be fed. if you dont stick with it for a few weeks, then you are going to have nice suprises. also plenty of chew toys, but not all at once, keep some from her and when shes bored with one, take it away and give her 2new ones and rotate them til there is nothing left. good luck
    otoole

Answer by otoole at 12:05 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I wish I could help you - the shelter we got our dog from said she wasn't house broken, but she pretty much learned over night that she was supposed to go outside. She was still only 4 or 5 months old when we got her, and a little ball of fluff, so I did have her sleep in the bed with us at first, on the leash, and when I noticed her getting up, I'd take her outside. So she'd go out three times or so a night, but other than that she seemed to realize right away that's what we wanted of her....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:07 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Thank you!

Acid- the leash sounds like a good idea. Right now, she's not too thrilled- obviously I'm sitting at the computer desk right now lol, and every minute or so she lunges and pulls on me but since we aren't doing anything at the moment I gave her her favorite bone to chew on while I get some work done. And I'm using a timer so that I know I won't go longer than an hour without taking her out. When she does have an accident, I take her out right away if I catch her in the act and then just clean it up, but if I don't catch her in the act I just clean it up and then go about my business... no point in getting onto her for it especially since she won't know why, and she seems to do better when I ignore the bad stuff she does anyway. So if I catch her in the act I just clap my hands or something to distract her then we go outside.
    VeggieMuslima

Comment by VeggieMuslima (original poster) at 1:38 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Watch him like a hawk. Catch him in the act. Distract him with a loud NO NO. Tell him GO OUTSIDE. Praise him & give a treat when he goes outside. Use short phrases consistently. Your dog will learn to understand you.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 8:00 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I had a dane and for me it was controlling the food and water. None of that free eating as some will suggest. It just makes sense that what goes in must come out and if its always going in its hard to set a schedule especially at 7 months. Also, you need to getting that pullinng under control now or she will be impossible when she is grown. Good luck.
    dgall3

Answer by dgall3 at 2:54 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• She is on a schedule actually. And I'm working on getting the pulling under control.
    VeggieMuslima

Comment by VeggieMuslima (original poster) at 3:07 PM on Oct. 9, 2010