anyone take birthing classes and what did you think?

my obgyn keeps telling me i have to take them, but i know a few people who had babies and never took them and they were just fine and then i no other people who did take them and said they were no help, it all goes out the window once your in labour. are they worth taking?

otoole

Asked by otoole at 12:12 AM on Oct. 8, 2010 in Pregnancy

• My husband and I took a Bradley class. I would say if you want to know about what happens in birth, take a class. I would also say, knowing what happens during birth is VERY helpful. Either way your baby will be born, but when you know what to expect, you can feel at peace through the process.

I came to the class already quite well-educated on childbirth, being an RN. I think the class was most helpful for my husband. It really helped him know what to expect and how he could help. Good luck!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 12:15 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I think they were nice to take, educational. but i also think the whole Lamaze breathing techniques never worked either. that's why I'm taking hypnobirthing classes this time... I think it will be much more beneficial while in actual labor:)
    young-not-dumb

Answer by young-not-dumb at 12:17 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I've heard good and bad things too but I'm still taking the class
    ladyambition

Answer by ladyambition at 1:22 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• im gona take them anyway, just wanted to know if they are worth my time ir not, they are 3hours each class. thanks for the help ladies, ill enjoy it more now, knowing that i will be learning something, even if it helps or not.
    otoole

Comment by otoole (original poster) at 1:24 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• With my first I took a basic birthing class from the hospital that was based on the Bradley method. It was a ROYAL waste of time because they spent about 30 minutes discussing the birth and the rest of the time discussing pain med options.

With my second we took Hypnobabies classes....BEST DECISION I EVER MADE! I had an amazing birth with this method and will definately be using this method in future births.
    miasmommy21407

Answer by miasmommy21407 at 2:02 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• my husband and I are not much for classes so we took a fast track class, it's held over 2 days and it's 3 hours on the first day and 5 on the 2nd. There were parts that were worth it and parts that wern't but I am glad I took the fast track!
    ErinT

Answer by ErinT at 1:42 PM on Oct. 8, 2010