Do other people's kids ever stress you out??

I live in a small town and found one other mom (who I like ok) with a girl about my dd's age. We do play dates and things are mostly good but after a while I get really tired of the little girl. Her mom spends the whole time telling her not to do things - some that are a big deal and some that are just little things- and her dd totally ignores everything her mom says. The mom apologizes about her dd's behavior but she doesn't do anything. It starts to drive me crazy, and sometimes I wonder how good it is for my dd to see someone misbehaving so much (both girls are 2). I hate telling the girl to stop something when they are at my house. I don't know if I am way off base here, should I just get used to it and let my daughter see the real world? If so, do I say anything to my dd about what this girl does or just ignore it? Or should we hang out with them a bit less?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:20 AM on Oct. 8, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• If it seems to be influencing how your daughter behaves, or if it annoys the crap out of you. . . . I would hang out with them less.
    Other people's children annoy me a lot. I try to get out with them away from kids.
    v8v

Answer by v8v at 12:23 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• yes, some of my nieces and nephews are like this... but worse, but i love them all. some times it gets on my nerves but i just try to either mind my own business or offer some help. My kids know they cannot act like this... so they don't, and they've been around their cousins forever and often. I think they are going to see other kids act up at school, that doesn't mean they can do it too. but your situation is different bc you do have a choice... it's not family or anything. weigh out the neg and pos... than decide :)
    young-not-dumb

Answer by young-not-dumb at 12:31 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• My sister's daughter is a bully, and its so irritating and stressful to be around her. And I just stopped doing playdates with people who's kids were brats.
    art.diva

Answer by art.diva at 12:37 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Yes! I have neighbor kids just randomly walking in my house seeing if my girls can come out to play! I told the mom that I don't mind her daughter coming over but to please have her knock or ring the doorbell. She doesn't listen.
    lilma0608

Answer by lilma0608 at 12:39 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Dear you should not subject your daughter to behavior you don't want her to pick up. Think about this....If you can teach your daughter proper behavior at 2 then what is that other mother teaching if anything? Children tend to pick up things very quickly and truthfully it will influence your daughter. She will test you to see how much of that you will allow her to get away with. I am not trying to take your child's playmate but you must consider if you truly feel she should be around such negative behavior. In the future it may be better to screen the child before setting play dates. I know that sounds harsh but you have your daughter to think of.
    Cheveyo1

Answer by Cheveyo1 at 12:41 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I wouldnt be hanging out with her much. I do believe that kids will copy what they see other children doing. I wouldnt want my DD around a child who behaves badly. And if it that important to still see her, limit the time and frequency you spend with her.
    And ask the mom how to reprimand her DD when she is at your house. ask her what technique she uses with her, and what she is ok with you doing.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 12:58 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Well.. your little girl needs to have friends but I don't think her seeing another girl her age getting away with all kinds of crazy stuff isn't going to be good.. she may start to think that it would be okay for her to do some of that stuff.. it is a bad toss up.
    ajc88

Answer by ajc88 at 4:03 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• In this case, I think the MOM would be getting on my nerves more than the kid. I'd have to tell her that if she couldn't make her child behave, then we would have to cancel any future play dates, which would be sad since our kids get along (do they get along?) so well.

YES! YES! YES! other people's kids annoy me and that's the main reason I do NOT babysit any of our nieces or nephews.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 7:11 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Not really... honestly my kid stresses me out more than other people's kids because I care more deeply about my son than other children... KWIM?

But in this case, I'd be pissed at the mom, not the kid.
    WomanWitty

Answer by WomanWitty at 8:06 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I have a friend who has 2 daughters that drive me crazy, when she is around. When I watch her kids they are perfectly fine until she enters the picture, then they become spawns of satan...jk. Anyways, since the mother and I a fairly close I do on occasion step in with a "Look I know you do not behave that way when your mother is not here, be respectful to her." Usually that stops the behavior. So maybe you should offer to take the kid alone without mom around and see if the problem is mom or the kid.
    dance45133

Answer by dance45133 at 9:53 AM on Oct. 8, 2010