how do i know my dog wont be jelous?

im expecting my first baby in december and i have a 2year old puggle, who follows me everywhere in the house and even out in the yard. she doesn like it if i go into a room and leve her outside, she will cry the house down til she is near me.
she is good with kids, very timid with them and will let them pull away at her. but now i am about to be giving all my attention to the baby. is there anyway of knowing how she will be?

otoole

Asked by otoole at 12:35 AM on Oct. 8, 2010 in Pets

• Even if the dog is, you have to teach the dog you are the pack leader and that baby is in charge of the dog. Don't let the dog near the baby unless you bring the dog to the baby or the baby to the dog. watch Cesar Milan (the dog whisperer) we used his techniques on our dog and it worked great!
    BigfordBrat

Answer by BigfordBrat at 8:22 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• You won't know until the baby arrives. Try and still give the dog attention after the baby arrives if possible.
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 12:36 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• i love her to death, shes my first baby. she will always get my attention, just not as much. i hope she willbe ok, shes such a great dog. very smart to, makes me laugh everyday.i hope it works out, cos my hubby will be more than happy to get rid of her, not cos he doesn like her, just cos i made him get rid of his pitbull, that chewd up the whole house and cud never hold his bladder during the night and he jumped on everyone and with gettin biger, he was to much to handle.
    otoole

Comment by otoole (original poster) at 12:41 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I worry about this too! My dog right now gets all my attention and she already gets jealous when DH and I cuddle, kiss, etc....
    I'm just hoping dogs are forced to adjust. I also have heard that dogs tend to love babies and sense that they are fragile. Let's hope for the both of us this is true!
    SDMama77

Answer by SDMama77 at 10:02 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• You have to teach the dog that the baby is alpha to her.

A good way to introduce your dog to the new baby is let the dog sniff something that baby has been using. So, before you come home from the hospital give your husband a onesie or a blanket the baby has been wearing or wrapped up in.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 12:41 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• There are several things you can do to get your dog to adjust before the baby arrives. First, if you have never done basic obedience, you should. If there is time to enroll in and complete a class before the baby arrives, do so. Second, try to set aside time specifically for you and your dog and try not to give her extra attention aside from that time (that doesn't mean ignore her, just don't go overboard with attention). This lets her know you still care and can interact with her, but she won't freak out when your attention is suddenly gone. Do this before the baby arrives. Let her sniff all baby items. Play CDs or MP3s of baby sounds to get her used to them. Teach her tricks like fetching a diaper or tossing a burp rag in the laundry which she can continue to do after the baby arrives. Have hubby bring home a blanket or outfit the baby was wearing at the hospital before coming home so the dog can smell it.
    Tuzyae

Answer by Tuzyae at 12:56 AM on Oct. 10, 2010