is your music bad for ur kids?

I love music and all types of it. From rock, to hip pop, rap, r & B, country... But it seems there is always something inapropriate being said. And my girls are sponges and learn the songs very well!

lilma0608

Asked by lilma0608 at 12:47 AM on Oct. 8, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I have alwayed let my children listen to my music. I have bought edited version when they were younger. Now they are 13, 11 and 9 and we listen to everything. I have taken them to many concerts and they know, while they hear cuss words at the concert they are not allowed to repeat them at home. I am a firm believer in talking to your kids and listening to them. We have conversations all the time about music. For Example: the Eminem song "Love the way you lie" I really like this song, although if you really listen to it, it's not appropriate for children. So instead of not listening I turned it into a learning experience talking about why abuse is never okay.
    I think in the end you have to do what you think it best.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 1:56 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Very...I love snoop dogg, eminem, katy perry, and most other hip hop, pop, rock artists. But I also love Broadway tunes, opera, classical instrumental, and jazz...so it balances out..lol
    art.diva

Answer by art.diva at 12:51 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I just buy radio edits for the kids listening pleasure- kidz bop is always an option, I just don't enjoy the kids singing the songs.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 12:52 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Yes. I change the songs if they have cuss words in them or anything my kids shouldn't be hearing. I listen to rock music.
    PoisonousBlonde

Answer by PoisonousBlonde at 12:55 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• My dd and I love country music...I see no problem with it.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 12:55 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• My DD is only 16 months. So she only listens to kid music, usually disney music. I dont allow her to listen to adult music yet. LIke OP said, most of it is innappropriate. And I would like to keep my childs world "kid-friendly" as long as I can.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 12:56 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• my baby joseph loves hearing music all types
    rainabenner

Answer by rainabenner at 1:18 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I don't really listen to radio music much except when my ipod dies, lol. Most of the time I listen to indie rock like death cab for cutie or folk...I love iron and wine! I play a lot of iron and wine songs to my belly, I think he really likes Such Great Heights since he kicks when I turn it off, then relaxes when I turn it on! So anyway I don't like harsh tunes, I like mellow or soft beats :) So no my music isn't inappropriate.
    Evansmommy91

Answer by Evansmommy91 at 2:02 AM on Oct. 8, 2010