This may sound like a joke but..

What does it mean when people say " we had to let them go" meaning in the dying way. This may seem like a stupid question but i honestly dont know what it means.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:46 PM on Oct. 25, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm think they're talking about the soul. In my religion, we believe that after someone dies, their soul still stays if there is something holding them back (i.e. a sobbing wife, a young child, revenge) until the people that were around finds a way to let him go (esp by praying). (Not crying, pray, being happy) Of course we still remember them and pray for them now. Lol this may sound like we're weird but it doesn't happen that often anyway that someone in our family dies so we're actually pretty normal.
    sweetvietchic

Answer by sweetvietchic at 7:01 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• Not sure in what sense you mean. It could be living or dead. You may have to "let go" of a lost love by not thinking about and greiving for them like you did when you first lost them. Same would be of the dead. If they're dying and need to be let go, they are basically just asking permission to die. Hope that helps.
    rhope4

Answer by rhope4 at 7:29 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• I am Catholic and I believe that when you let go a person in death you let their spirit go peacefully. If you don't let them go then they may wander as restless spirits.

angel

AlohaWahine

Answer by AlohaWahine at 7:44 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• When we let go of a person that is dying. They seem to find the peace to finally cross over to the other side. Sometimes they fight to stay alive until a specific thing happens such as forgiveness. When that happens a peace comes. Whatever is accomplished and their job is finished on earth. This is my understanding in the hospice articles I have read. Sounds strange yet makes sense.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 8:10 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• well, my mom "let" my stepfather go when she removed him from lifesupport after the brain tests showed he had absolutely no brain function left.

not sure if that's what you mean though.

I'd have to agree with the others. It's more of a peace of mind that they are dying and you can't change it and they will be better off.
    Anonymous

• I would say that letting go means to let them go , as like out of their misery. Or to let them go and not keep hanging on to painful memories. or, to let them go so they know they can let go of this world where they may be suffering.
    Freda01

Answer by Freda01 at 9:57 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• Shaneagle777 Just curious. Where do you get your information from? I mean, do you get your belief from the Bible? Or another source?

Anonymous

• Never mind...I finished reading your comment. You got it from a hospice article? So hospice's teach that sort of idea? WOW! Remind me to forbid my family to put me there.
    Anonymous

• There is nothing mystical about what hospice says about the process of death. The dying person will sometimes ask for a favorite meal after days of not eating hardly anything. Sometimes they will slip into a coma. Sometimes they will not cross over till someone they are close to arrives or by the same token that person leave the room. When my Mom was dying she had a room full of people sitting by her side. After everyone went to bed I slipped out her favorite book and read to her for 20 minutes and then she crossed over. I swear I could feel her soul lean closer to me like when I started reading to her and I felt her say everything is alright. Everything went just like it was in the book hospice gave us. Its a good program.

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 10:40 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• It means the family decided to stop medical treatments or the ventalator and let the person go. As in die in peace. Sometimes no amount of medicne or treatment will get your loved one back to full health.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 11:02 PM on Oct. 25, 2008