(TMI) weird bleeding question- posted in another category & someone suggested pregnancy... Any thoughts?

I have very irregular periods since having my son (even though I am on birth control). I had my period October 1-7, and started this weird bleeding October 17-now. It has been really strange... dark and light brown and sometimes pinkish, but for a day or two somewhere in the middle, it was normal red blood, like a period. Today, when I went to the bathroom, there was a "string" of really thick, very dark brown "blood". continue below

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:51 PM on Oct. 25, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I don't know what's going on. I've never had this happen before, and I'm worried that something may be wrong?? I called my doctor one day last week & told his nurse that I was having horrible, irregular periods again. She said that they just needed to call me in a different type of birth control pills. Now, since it's been so strange & such weird bleeding, I don't know what to think. I'm calling back Monday, but I wanted to know if anyone else has had this happen, and what caused it? Thanks! ((sorry for the gross details!))
    Anonymous

• Now but you can ask for a pregnancy blood test be done before you start new pills just to be safe. Better safe than sorry
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 7:13 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• I get clots like that frequently in my period. If you were laying down, the blood pools inside you, and can often form a gelatinous clot (which would come out sort of stringlike.)

My periods changed dramatically after my eldests' birth: I had had very fast, heavy bleeding that turned into a lighter bleeding but lasted longer. It was also regular before Adia was born, but not so much afterwards.

rainbowlight

Answer by rainbowlight at 9:17 PM on Oct. 25, 2008