Does anybody have any secrets about potty training?

We are having he hardest time potty training our daughter. She is 2, but will be 3 in Jan. So if anybody has any input please share. Thanks.

YoungMommy0118

Asked by YoungMommy0118 at 7:04 PM on Oct. 25, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• What worked for both my girls (8,5) was most rescent coolest panties(character). Plus, I would go before leaving anywhere when they were in there to show and maybe encourage to do what mommy and grandma would do.
    tabby3

Answer by tabby3 at 7:30 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• Well, its kind of late starting potty training. Thats probably why youre having a smart time. Usually you start potting training a child when its able to sit up straight by itself (around 10months).

Get her a seat for the reg. toilet. She is probably too big for the tiny potty anyway.
    I dont know any child thats still in diapers at almost 3, so i dont really know what you could do. If you dont want to use the seat for the reg. toilet, then go use the bathroom with her at the same time. When you go pee you take her with you and sit her on her potty.

We have a potty schedule. Every morning (before and after breakfast), before and after lunch, before and after nap and then before she goes to bed at night. That works very well so far. Sometimes she does pee, sometimes she doesnt.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 7:32 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• Every child is different, and I know lots of 3 year olds still in training pants. I would do as the first poster says and get regular undies, and make sure she knows the potty is a good place. Maybe let her watch you go potty so she gets the idea. Make sure you make a really big deal of it when she does go. If you see that she goes in her undies, pull ups whatever, don't change her right away-of course don't let her sit in it all day either. Good luck and feel free to PM me-I'm in the process of training myself, have been for a while now. My DD's main problem is having better things to do than going on the potty, lol. Good luck hun!
    EvaSerenity

Answer by EvaSerenity at 7:46 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• The best thing that worked for me is underware with the rubber underware over them. Its a lot of laundry but it works great. And you have to remind them to go potty. At least every hour or if you're going to do regular underware every half hour say "lets go sit on the potty' even if they don't have to go. I've done that for like a month now with my 2 year old in pull ups and now she's in panties telling me "Mommy potty". Today was teh first time I had to change a poopy pull up in a week and she said "sorry Mommy". It takes patience but you'll get there.
    katyameliasmom

Answer by katyameliasmom at 8:46 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• My baby girl was almost for 3 years, and she have tried before and she never want to doe again, and one day my mom buy her a tinkerbell undeware and the next day she want to wear them and i tell her ok, u going to wear but you have to use u little toilet tcause u dont want does underware weth dirty right and at the wall of the bathroom i put her a paper with the days and i told her everytime u use u toilett im going to put u a sticker to this paper and then she said she want to use her toilett and she went and i out her a sticker to the paper then everytime she feel she need to go she toll me and i have to go with her and with the sticker book lol then it past like 3 days and she want to use her tinkerbell underware even for sleep and is been like half year that she is using the regular toilett. tried that the favorite character and some stickers, good luck :)
    princesa07740

Answer by princesa07740 at 10:32 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• I'm a sahm and my dd is almost two. We keep her pottey chair in whatever room we happen to be in. We let her go bottomless (when we know we're not having any company over), and let her keep her sippy cup with her all day. We fill it mostly with water, every now and then a little tea (decaf). She'll sit on her potty just to play, but she's starting to sit when she has to go. No accidents so far.
    Anonymous

• What worked for my dd was letting her pick out her *NEW* panties and then I told her that tink didn't like to get wet so when she has to TT let mommy know and we will go potty. It took about a month for her not to have ANY accidents and she was so proud of herself.
    Cyndi310

Answer by Cyndi310 at 10:56 PM on Oct. 25, 2008