How do you feel about people who own a foreign car?

Do you think that they have helped contribute to the auto industry's problems or should owning any car be ok? Long ago there was a stigma attached to "not buying American." Was that a good or bad thing? What do you drive?

I have the 2008 Dodge.

Teachermom01

Asked by Teachermom01 at 7:13 PM on Oct. 25, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I drive what I can afford...the label makes no difference to me. Right now I drive a 2003 Chrysler 300M. I love it and would consider buying a newer model when the economy is back up...if the prices were more affordable anyways.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:13 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• I drive the car that I drive because of its safety, its reliability and its practicality. I feel that safety should be a number one concern when buying a car. I also think its important to have a car that is reliable. I want a car that is going to last many miles and many years, as well as not depreciate too quickly. Then I look at a car for its practicality, does it have features to help make my life easier? These are always a welcome bonus. I think people should chose their cars based on what matters most to them, whatever that may be.

I drive a 2006 Toyota Sienna, and I absolutely love it.
    cait030507

Answer by cait030507 at 7:25 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• Every american car i have owned was junk! lol My favorite car was my VW Jetta. That car was sooo safe and reliable. I miss it :( Right now I have an Explorer and so far doing well with it! Cross your fingers! lol
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 7:29 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• I used to own a mustang. It was in the shop more than on the road. Since then I have driven either Honda or Nissan and guess what???? NO problems (knocking on wood). The auto industry is in trouble here because they cannot produce quality and the CEO's are making waaaay too much money.
    CBodden

Answer by CBodden at 7:38 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• I'm awful, I rebelled. My Daddy is very frugal and practical and we grew up with little tin can Toyotas. My aunt had a nicer model, but it was still too small and practical. I most resented being able to open the passenger door from the driver's seat. My first car of my very own is a 2000 Ford Taurus and even my Daddy finally admitted it has a nice, smooth, comfortable feeling ride. It costs less to repair and to insure than Toyotas. I like Dodge, too, except my Ford cost less.
    LauraMi261

Answer by LauraMi261 at 7:42 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• My husband and I both have Hyundai Cars. I owned 4 GM vehicles before going with my Hyundai. I just look for safety and quality. It seemed like my GM's were always getting recalled or having something wrong with them.
    usmc0351wife

Answer by usmc0351wife at 7:44 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• As for repairs, after 8 years, 6 of them being abusively driven by my husband, we have replaced the starter and the battery and the tires. That's it.
    LauraMi261

Answer by LauraMi261 at 7:45 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• Unfortunately, they do not make the American cars to last like Toyota, Nissan, or Honda....we have all American cars except for one foreign car which is a Toyota. I do think we need to buy more American cars though and keep our money in our own country.
    Anonymous

• (warning, my Opinion, please take any emotion out before you go off on me). I do not blame the foreign automakers for the demise of domestic automobiles.If there is a blame, (IMO) it is the unions.They have taken the ideal of working for a company you believe in &turned it into what can "that" company do for the union because we are "entitled". I am a daughter of a middle mgt GM worker. My father, 62, (3 years shy of retirement) has been forced into a buyout that will not reward him of his retirement till he is 65. We have no animosity for GM, but do think if unions were not involved, the company could have ran more "lean" That being said, I drive a Chevy &have since 2001 & LOVE IT! (btw, my brother drives a Honda and we still love him)
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:50 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• We own Dodge and Jeep. We love them both. We take good care of our cars ,service every 3 months and so on.
    Anonymous