Will she always be this upset when we are gone?

We have a 10ish month old puppy, and we've had her for 3-4 months. She is doing GREAT with her training and behavior and such.

She's been fine lately in the kitchen (with a baby gate shutting it off from the rest of the house) while we go run errands.

But today we had to go out of town. We were gone from about 7:30am till 4:00pm. We had a neighbor come in and walk her twice, plus feed her.

When we came home, our dog had chewed up a large portion of the baby gate... little pieces of wood ALL OVER the kitchen. She wasn't upset or barking when we got home. She was just sitting there, wagging her tail and smiling at us.

ChapelleCDH

Asked by ChapelleCDH at 7:30 PM on Oct. 25, 2008 in Pets

• But I'm thinking she must've been upset for at least a few minutes for all that destruction to happen (she has really good teeth, so a few minutes could do it). She had 4 chew toys in there with her, too!!!!

It's not separation anxiety, otherwise it would've happened every time we left her for errands. It's not lack of exercise, since she had 2 walks today. Maybe it was just excitement because she had a NEW PERSON today? I don't know... any insight, please?
    ChapelleCDH

Answer by ChapelleCDH at 7:31 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• my 10 month old puppy does that all time!!!!!!!!!! she chewed my couch, comforters, CARPET and padding, tile floors and stuff but its starting to stop. once they are done teething it stops. i always gave them crazy toys to keep her occupied while i was gone...i have this toy its called a "KONG" you can get them at any pet store they are seriously indestructable! it has a hole so i put little treats in so she has to work all day to get it out or ill fill it with peanut butter and it helps alot. seriously though get one of those youll be surprised how strong they are my dogs (yes i have 2) have had theirs for 5 months and it looks brand new! hope this helps
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 8:07 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• Our dog is 4 years old when we board her she will tear her bed and eat some of the stuffing

Anonymous

• This is what crates are for. I don't trust any dog loose in my house without me home. Especially not a young one.
    Sharon7772

Answer by Sharon7772 at 2:08 AM on Oct. 26, 2008

• all puppys go thru this and i found the best thing is to actually leave her outside tied up overnite after you have found out what she has done. my puppy wrecked my whole house,and doing that it worked.my dog is now 3yrs.i also recommend a chew toy and telling her that you chew this and not everyting else,it wont be long untill your dog learns.i got my information from my vet.i know this sounds awful but they do learn in a hurry not to do it again.hope this has helped and good luck
    cruizymum

Answer by cruizymum at 3:26 AM on Oct. 26, 2008

• Puppies have a VERY strong need to chew until they are about 3 y/o. If they don't have toys, bones, etc., they will find whatever they can to chew. Your dog could also have anxiety to the situation. No clue, I'm not a vet, just a suggestion. Make sure the dog gets plenty of exercise.
    Navy_Wife_Tisha

Answer by Navy_Wife_Tisha at 3:36 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• I have 3 dogs and all of them were crate trained. Now I can leave the house and they stay in there crates even with the doors open. They do not destroy anything. They also have several toys that they know they can chew on. Just depends on how they are trained.
    Anonymous

• separation axniety. my dog used to do that when he was under a year old. now he knows we'll be back so he's fine and doesn't chew anything
    nora17

Answer by nora17 at 9:51 PM on Oct. 27, 2008