Is a 12 month snowsuit unsafe for a newborn to wear??

My hubby and I are expecting our first baby in early November. We live in Minnesota, so the winters are harsh and cars take forever to heat up... My boyfriend got a snowsuit that his mother used with her youngest son who is 2 now. The snow suit is either sized at nine months or twelve (I'm pretty sure it's 12). I've been having my doubts about whether it is safe or not, like in the carseat... I've brought it up to my hubby but he and his mother are convinced that it will be fine. I'm not so sure...What do you guys think? It's an actual snow suit with legs, not just a sack.

StephenieBryant

Asked by StephenieBryant at 1:19 AM on Oct. 8, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you dont want the clothes to suffocate your baby so most likely not..a newborn baby is super tiny compared to a 9/12 month old. They do have those covers that go over the carseat that should keep your baby snug.Ive never used one because I live in Cali but I saw one @babies r us.
    socalikim

Answer by socalikim at 1:28 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I wouldn't. Prob with newborns is if they can't breathe they can't move their head to get fresh air. Its the same reason your supposed to sleep them on their backs. As they can't really roll over to get air to their closed nose holes -yanno what I'm getting at. I say layers. Of clothes and blankets. I'm in Co. And we have our cold moments here too . I layered all my boys' clothes. And then used a sac. That had the turn over mitties. :)
    stepho345

Answer by stepho345 at 1:30 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Yea. Not safe. At ALL. Newborns are MUCH smaller than 12 month olds. They're TINY!! They shouldn't wear overclouthes in carseats anyway... just tuck blankets around them in the seat. Outdoors, I would put my little guy in the sling and wear a large zip-up sweat shirt. He was snug as a bug in a rug!
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 1:31 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Snowsuits are not safe in a car seat PERIOD.... and would be even more dangerous being so large. Snowsuits in car seats add too much bulk and you can't tighten the straps enough... even if you think you have them tight, if you get in a crash, the "fluff" of the snowsuit or coat compresses, leaving a gap between the child and the harness and the baby can fly right out of the seat! In addition, they are too warm and the baby can overheat. SO anyway... snowsuits ONLY for playing in the snow.
    We live in MN too.... you can keep you baby plenty warm with a shower cap style cover (the kinds that goes on TOP not under the baby) Dress you baby warm like you normally would for the weather, add a hat... a light blanket folded on top of the baby's lap and then the cover will keep you baby plenty warm.

Watch this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yd3GEfv5OTY
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:54 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Snowsuits and carseats are not safe no matter what the age. They are too bulky and you cannot tighten the straps tight enough and in an accident your baby could be ejected. Not cool. lol. Go with amyjanells advice.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 1:01 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I think it is definitely not a good idea to put a newborn into a 9 or 12 month size anything, let alone a snowsuit. You'll be shocked at how tiny a newborn is for the first month or two. The baby will be lost in all that material, its arms and legs won't reach the arms and legs of the snowsuit, and the baby will get all tangled up inside. Try to picture it like a 5 year old playing dress up in mommy or daddy's clothes. Best suggestion, made above, is to just put the baby in a fleecey sleeper and put a blanket on in the carseat if it's really cold.
    gerims

Answer by gerims at 1:30 AM on Dec. 6, 2010

• Snowsuits, of any size, are not safe in car seats. When NOT in the carseat, he can wear it as long as it fits. If it's gigantic on him, I think it'd be annoying and in the way, and possibly dangerous.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:29 PM on Mar. 10, 2011