Homemade Pumpkin Pie!!

I want to make a pie! I do a lot of homemade stuff, but never a from scratch pumpkin pie. I need your help! I told my honey that I wanted to go get a pumpkin so I could make pumpkin seeds and a pie, but I have no recipe to do it from scratch, only with the canned pumpkin stuff.

Come on ladies, tell me your baking secrets!!

CarolynBarnett

Asked by CarolynBarnett at 7:41 PM on Oct. 25, 2008 in Food & Drink

• Roast or microwave the pumpkin until soft. A fork should easily pierce the flesh. Scoop the pumpkin from the shell, and put into a cheesecloth lined colander for 30 min to drain off any excess water. Then put into a blender, blend until smooth. To make the pie you'll need:
    * 1 c sugar
    * 1.5 tsp ground cinnamon
    * 1 tsp ground cloves
    * 1 tsp ground allspice
    * 1/2 tsp ground ginger
    * 1/2 tsp salt
    * 4 large eggs
    * 3 cups pumpkin puree
    * 1.5 cans (12oz each) of evaporated milk
    Prepare your favorite pie crust recipe. Combine the ingredients and mix on med speed until smooth. Pour into crust. Bake at 425*f for 15 min, then reduce to 350*f for 45-55 min. A knife inserted in the center that comes out clean means it's done. Cool.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 8:51 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• well, i can't give you my secret recipe because i don't have one! i always go get one of martha stewarts. marthastewart.com. mmm, i hope yours turns out wonderfully.
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 8:14 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• Well, to begin with, you'd need to find pie pumpkins, which are a different variety from the typical pumpkins you'd find for Jack-O-Lanterns. If you use those pumpkins the resulting custard will be stringy and grainy. The pie pumpkins are smoother fleshed, sweeter, and not grainy. It's a lot of extra work for the essentially same results as a pie from canned pumpkin. (Note: there are two different canned products: one is pumpkin, the other is pumpkin pie filling, which already has spices and other ingred. added).
    If you find the pie pumpkins, then you'll need to split and clean it. You can roast the seeds just as you would any pumpkin seeds. Wash the outside first, then cut with a serrated knife down the middle. Scoop out the seeds and pulp in the center. Separate out the seeds for roasting. cont..
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 8:43 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• This makes a rather lighter version of a traditional pumpkin pie. If you want it more dense, use 3 eggs, and 1 can of evaporated milk. Any leftover filling can be used to make a smaller pie, or you can bake in a glass baking dish (small, of course) without pie crust for a pumpkin custard. When finished you can eat it as is, or chill and combine with whipping cream for a pumpkin mousse.
    Good Luck!
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 8:53 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• Canned pumpkin is just as good as making your own - the only bonus with DIY is the yummy seeds. Good luck!
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 8:54 AM on Oct. 27, 2008