Have we stopped letting kids be kids?

Do you think we ask kids to grow up to fast these days? I always felt my children should enjoy their childhood because there is enough time in this life time to worry and stress. What ever happened to just letting them play and get dirty?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:50 AM on Oct. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• I think they do grown up way too fast.. but I wouldn't want my kid to be sheltered from how the real world is either when they hit their teens you know.. so, for as long as I can I will baby them up and let them have some kind of independence of playing with each other and friends as much as they liked.
    ajc88

Answer by ajc88 at 3:34 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I feel like parents force their babies to not be babies. They force them to learn to self soothe all alone in a crib in a separate room from birth. They force them to learn to play alone for fear of making them too dependent. There are moms that don't do EC, but, think a 12 months old should learn to potty because they can walk. Or they have to stop the paci at 3 months or stop nursing because they can say drink. Whatever reason they have to force babies to do older things. Then, kids get to be 4 and all of a sudden, the kid can't watch TV unless it is a G rated show and they can't watch anything but G until they turn 18. the kid can't even play out in their own backyard at age 12 unless Momma is right there hovering. Can't spend the night with a friend until they are 18. Really, can't do anything. So, the helicopter moms suppress them....I think they need to baby the baby more and slowy ingrain the kid overtime into the ~cont
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:07 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I am very careful as to what my boys are exposed to for just that reason. I truely believe children grow up way to fast these days.
    dmbutler

Answer by dmbutler at 1:51 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I'm not against after school sports, but I'm leary of them for this reason. If they are constantly doing all this plus homework and school, when is there time for them to just hang out and be kids.

Also, the way little girls dress. I have limits on what my girls can wear, no makeup for a long time, so much time for all that!

Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 1:57 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• So I got a lecture from the preschool teacher because I didn't want to enroll my 3 year old in the class. Well they ended up finding a sponsor or something and are payiing for it as I feel that 3 is too soon to start preschool. 4 maybe(eh....) , but not 3 and also 60.00 for a month that's 4 days a week, and 2 1/2 hours those 4 days? Why can't they just play, climb, sleep in, and just be silly? I don't get it. Then everyone wonders why the teenage pregnancy rate is as high as it is. Kids growing up too fast!
    stepho345

Answer by stepho345 at 2:05 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I agree with dmbutler. I do the same with my kids. They are only young once.
    KaraMia15

Answer by KaraMia15 at 1:52 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Have you seen the outfits they put out there for 7 year old girls? I thank the heavens every school clothes shopping trip I have all boys!
    stepho345

Answer by stepho345 at 2:07 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• real world. And that may mean playing outside alone at some point before they are teens. Watching something more than a G show before they are a teen...
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:08 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• So I got a lecture from the preschool teacher because I didn't want to enroll my 3 year old in the class. Well they ended up finding a sponsor or something and are payiing for it as I feel that 3 is too soon to start preschool.

Why are you letting someone else tell you when you enroll your child into pre-school? If you think it is too soon, then don't put them in. Who cares if the teacher gave you a lecture lol

v8v

Answer by v8v at 3:07 AM on Oct. 8, 2010