Will Medicaid cover a gym membership?

Im really wanting to join a gym so bad, and ive heard that certain health insurances will pay for you to go to the gym, does anyone know if Medicaid in WI does that?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:31 AM on Oct. 8, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• Doubtful.
    lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 2:40 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Very doubtful. Private health insurance is very different.
    MonicaE521

Answer by MonicaE521 at 2:46 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I think this is so dumb. Just because you have Medicaid doctors treat you so wrong. They don't care as much.Plus so what if you have Medicaid, why should you get cheated out of what someone else has on a different insurance? Maybe they should make insurance cheaper then so everyone could afford it.
    proud_mommy1322

Answer by proud_mommy1322 at 2:57 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• No they don't.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 3:28 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I hope not not to be mean but that truly is a luxury in my opinion. There are all kinds of workouts you could be doing at home if you are interested in working out. My dh pays out 600 a month for us to be covered and we arent getting a free gym membership.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 5:54 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• why would you want them too. and why don't you just workout at home or around your neighborhood?
    hairstylist2011

Answer by hairstylist2011 at 12:02 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• don't think so unless you are morbid obese you can call your caseworker to find out
    beckybuck

Answer by beckybuck at 7:12 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I agree with the other posters...probably not. But check out your local YMCA -- they normally do an income based membership. In IA when I did it (on Medicaid as well) I think we qualified for the lowest they could do which was just under $25
    mommareynolds09

Answer by mommareynolds09 at 10:55 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Check out the poor woman's exercise question- she had lots of suggestions for free/cheap exercise. Also- do you have community centers? Usually they offer fitness classes and such for very cheap. Look into your local parks and recreation on a search engine.
    natural.mama

Answer by natural.mama at 4:08 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• No, but some gyms offer discounted memberships to women who are not well off financially. You may want to look into that. :)
    WomanWitty

Answer by WomanWitty at 11:46 AM on Oct. 12, 2010