How do you breastfeed a baby that falls asleep every time you try to feed?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:26 AM on Oct. 8, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• take its clothes off...ur body heat will keep the baby warm...but the chill of loosing clothing may wake he or she up...tickle the baby...i dunno...
    kaitybuggsmomma

Answer by kaitybuggsmomma at 3:29 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I had this problem with my DD BIG TIME. She would literally fall alseep the minute I put her to the breast.

Take off all of her clothes except for her diaper, rub your finger up and down her foot to kind of tickle it, take a wet wash cloth and rub it across her face, arms and back. Baby will stay warm as long as she's next to you. Turn on the lights, even in the middle of the night. Change positions frequently.

All of these things were helpful to me when I was going through this.
    miasmommy21407

Answer by miasmommy21407 at 4:07 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• OP I had that problem with both of my babies. I was told by the nurses to remove the baby's clothing and tickle them, etc and it did no good. Here's what I think might work though. Wait until the baby has just woke up and then immediately feed them and hopefully baby will be well rested and wont fall asleep. Also change the diaper right after they wake up so that it wakes them up and maybe talk to the baby during nursing and don't rock them or sing....yeah I think that may have contributed to mine falling asleep...
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 4:10 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• my one month old does the same thing so i take all of her clothes off while nursing and it seems to work bcus she doesnt like the cool air
    newmommyjazz

Answer by newmommyjazz at 8:27 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I would change the diaper before going to the second breast so they would wake up.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 3:10 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Try to use a cold wash cloth on the face, or do a diaper change. I use to rub my daughters chin.
    colepip2

Answer by colepip2 at 10:29 PM on Oct. 20, 2010