How many moms out there suffer from depression?

I know this is a personal question. I just wonder how many of you know how to deal with it. I see a therapist and doctor, and am on meds, but I just seem to want to be at home and alone most of the time. I have kids and a grandchild and I love them all and I do things with them, but during the day while my youngest kids are in school I want to be locked away in my "castle" lol. Some people wonder how I do it cause it seems boring to them. I'm starting to wonder if the meds are really working. I have been off and on meds since I was around 25 (I'm 37 now) and probably should have been before that. I didn't have an unhappy childhood, it was actually pretty great. I just have self esteem issues and issues dealing with sadness. Suicide has never been an issue (only mention that because ever doctor I've been to asks that) just the sadness and self esteem issues. I don't trust many people either. Been hurt by too many people.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:07 AM on Oct. 8, 2010 in Health

• I have been on and off depression pills for a couple years now. I just can't really control my emotions.. I know that sounds kind of weird but I can be a big basket of emotions.. its pretty weird now that I look back and think about it.. Mind you, suicide was never an issue just had lots to deal with. I don't trust people except for a certain few. I know several people that take medicine and do therapy to help. I have actually been off of my for close to a year since I refused to take them during pregnancy..
    ajc88

Answer by ajc88 at 4:25 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I have had depression on and off my whole life. I was so proud of myself years ago when I got myself off meds. Well now it is roaring its ugly head. As far as being locked in the castle I get it. Sounds like me.
    mollgirl

Answer by mollgirl at 5:36 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I seriously believe that sometimes all those "meds" cause more problems than they help. And I really mean that! Many therapists just throw around prescriptions to everyone, I mean sometimes after only speaking to them for a few minutes.
    I wonder if you really do need all that stuff! Your best bet: And please take this to heart and seriously, with the support of your family, check yourself into rehab, a good one. Get completely clean of all meds and do some serious group therapy.
    I think you will find that the whole world is NOT against you, and as far as "low self-esteem", well that is another word thrown around too much by so-called talk shows, etc...It is ridiculas...nobody in this world is perfect, nor will they be. All you can do is live each day to the fullest, appreciate ALL the good things in your life, and quit (for pete's sake) feeling sorry for yourself. Remember the good things you have, and let that be enough
    BlondieJoy

Answer by BlondieJoy at 6:16 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I'm 46yr old and i have depression to but i don't know how long i have been like this i just found out about it a yr ago.I don't take med i just deal with it the best i can.I can say this it help me that i work at night as a night audit 11 to 7.so when i get home i sleep half the day away.When i'm up and along i cry a lot and i pray to God to help me get myself together and i make myself go out side.
    ladydi121

Answer by ladydi121 at 6:21 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I understand exactly what you are going through. My castle is quiet right now. This morning was a particularly rough morning. I have been on meds for the past 7 years - if it weren't for the meds, I would still be living in the dark, missing my out on my children's lives. I had missed so much as it is. Depression is not selfishness - it's a disease - a disease people don't choose to have but are burdened with. Message me and we can discuss further...
    mpeada

Answer by mpeada at 9:19 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I'm going through a horrible struggle with depression and identity issues. Who am I truly...what do I like...I'm having to find myself all over again. I feel so lost. I'm on meds, but it just keeps getting harder and harder to deal with life. I just want to ball up.
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 6:03 PM on Oct. 8, 2010