Being "born into" a religion or lack of, brainwashing?

Why is it that when a Christian says they were born into the religion and they have stayed in it because it is what they feel is right, they are called close minded, brainwashed and their reply in voted down, yet nobody cares that Jews are Jews because they were born into it, and most of them stay with the religion because they think it is right. Nobody cares about the Hindu lady around here that was raised Hindu and is still Hindu. Everybody thinks its great when someone says they were raised in an Atheist home and are still an atheist. Why aren’t they considered brainwashed? Why is it just the Christians who were raised that way and decide to stay Christian as an adult that are brainwashed? (I am a Buddhist, by the way - born and raised)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:16 AM on Oct. 8, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Oh and Jewish and according to some people, I'm brainwashing my kids as well because I'm raising them to follow on that religion. So the notion isn't exclusively against Christians. It may seem more notorious with Christians because, well, there are more Christians. But any parent attempting to raise a child within their own faith is immediately accused of indoctrinating or brainwashing their children.
    Personally, I don't see raising with religious values any different than raising with any other values. No one would be accused of brainwashing a child because they've been taught not to steal, or lie, or hit, right? We all expect competent parents to raise children with *some* values. Why is it so offensive and different if those values include religion is beyond me. But whatever, I'll continue to raise my children to become Orthodox Jews and if anyone disagrees with that... well, that's their problem.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 10:23 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Great question - as a brain-washed Christian, I'm looking forward to the answers.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 6:00 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Why is it just the Christians who were raised that way and decide to stay Christian as an adult that are brainwashed?

Funny, haven't seen that. Now, what I HAVE seen - Christians who insist everyone else is wrong and going to Hell (including other Christians who believe differently) are called brainwashed. Christians who say they have never read anything about other religions because that's evil or wrong are called brainwashed. Also those who tell people they will ignore anything they say about a religious subject because they won't use the bible and only the bible as "proof" are called brainwashed. Haven't seen it for someone ONLY because they are in the same religion they are born to, only the ones who refuse to acknowledge anyone else on earth is allowed to believe differently (and those they refuse would include you, OP).

Go ahead, downvote it now, get it out of your system.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:22 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• "Christianity is the one religion that seems to be the only one where it is allowed to be attacked whereas others if someone does something against them, then they are reprimended severely."

That right there is a load bull. But believe whatever floats your boat.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 7:22 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Perhaps it could be because Christianity is the one religion that most teaches all others are wrong and doesn't encourage questioning or exploration of faith? That its the one religion where people are raised to look down on or think poorly of others and their faiths, to believe that they're destined for hell (granted we're not all like this), to judge people based on what they believe or have been taught - even people within their own faith....

Again, not all of us are like this, but its generally believed that many of us are, and based on the way many non-Christians are treated by Christians, its not hard to see why people see us this way....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 8:50 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Sorry, I ran out of room again...

My point is, people who actually take the time to educate themselves or try to understand others and then can honestly say "This path is right for me." Even if it was the path they grew up on, are making a choice... They are exercising their free will to choose the path that's right for them. On the flip side are those who simply believe they are right because this is what was drilled in to their head and they couldn't care less what other paths may hold, or those who are literally to afraid to look beyond what they were taught because it could mean their doom (or so they think)... THEY are Brianwashed...

When talking "cult" type of beliefs, it's easy to see a difference, it's the day to day belief systems that cloud it a bit more...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:14 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I agree with Dr.Donna!
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 6:14 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Christianity is the one religion that seems to be the only one where it is allowed to be attacked whereas others if someone does something against them, then they are reprimended severely.

I am a 7th Day Remnant (branch of the 7th Day Adventist) and it is something I chose by my free will. If someone wants to call me names because of it, oh well. It only shows their fear because they know I am not some weak minded ninny such as them to run and hide as if I am ashamed of my beliefs.
    MaryWolfe

Answer by MaryWolfe at 6:47 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• right..good question. we've all noticed it, and after almost 4yrs on the site, nothing's changed. in fact, the intolerance only makes newbies steer clear of this section, EXCEPT for those that are hardheaded and unable to back down (like they expect you to).
    and its those hardheaded ones who get labeled as brainwashed.
    nice, isn't it?
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 8:25 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I'm gonna use this as an example, but I know it's an extreme...
    We've talked about the WBC in this forum before a few times, and I think we can all generally agree that they are more hate group than religion. BUT, the majority of their most outspoken members are in fact the children of the founder... I would say without doubt, they were and are brainwashed... Anyone who doesn't belong to their path is "going to hell" is "wrong" and is "unworthy" in their eyes... This is the path they were brought up with from birth and they were never (obviously) introduced to anything else besides to say it's wrong... The parents (or at least the father) enforced the beliefs that even looking in to or educating themselves about other paths or lifestyles would be their ticket to hell... And now, we see what has happened... They took it to heart, they BELIEVE they are making this choice to believe, but honestly, they never had a choice...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:11 AM on Oct. 8, 2010