At what age did or will you allow your kid(s) to stay home alone for a run to the store or gas station?

Did you know most states do not have a minimum age?

Babylove76

Asked by Babylove76 at 6:25 AM on Oct. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• We just started this year after we moved to this house.  The kids are 10, 9, almost 8 and 4.  So far the 10yo has stayed once on her own (for a few hours...she just watched TV), the older 2 stayed once together while I took the younger 2 to the store (we were gone 2 hours because it's a long walk) and once all 4 stayed together while me and my husband walked to the store with the baby (we were gone for maybe an hour and they had my cell phone to keep in touch with us).  I feel perfectly comfortable leaving them.  I was staying home alone at 8 with my 6yo brother.  We never did anything, just watched TV.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:51 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• i would say maybe 13 or 14 i would reather have them come with me im kind of funny about that stuff i knew one lady that left her kids to go out there ages were 12 to 4 years old
    devinalexis

Answer by devinalexis at 7:18 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• teen, but seriously I'd just let em tag along, I'd be nervous of finding the fire dept in front of my house when I got back lol
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 7:21 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Probably 9 or 10 for a short trip.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:48 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Mine were about 12 or 13, but it would be for a very short trip.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 9:06 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I think it depends on thier maturity level, and the length of the trip. I would say for my daughter (almost 8) not for a while 12 or 13, she is still scared alot of noises and stuff like that.
    endurablemist

Answer by endurablemist at 10:12 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I would say 11 would be the absolute youngest I would do it, since the closest store is 20 minutes away.

However, my oldest is only 3 1/2, so that answer is subject to change.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 10:17 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• 10
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 5:25 PM on Oct. 8, 2010