Does your 3 yo dress in coat and shoes with or without help?

I watch a child who refuses most days but can do it when he wants. so frustrating on my part when trying to get 4 kids out the door. His family just does everything for him. I had my kids helping do that kind of thing by 3 or at least helping maybe not completely but showing interest.thoughts please

stargazer74

Asked by stargazer74 at 6:38 AM on Oct. 8, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Hi,

Yes, my 3.5 year old puts her own shoes on and her own jacket. She still needs help to get the zipper started on her jacket, and she might need a little help with the shoes (like us telling her which one goes on which foot if it's not a buckle shoe, or pulling the tongue out of sneakers so it doesn't get all smushed up), but for the most part, I tell her to put her shoes and jacket on and she's about 99% ready on her own.
    shd157

Answer by shd157 at 7:40 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• If he rufeses to get dressede tell him that he's going where ever your going as is. Of course take the clothes. With you and when he's ready he can put them on. I sent mine to school with all of his clothes in his bag . He had on his shirt and underwear. That was the last time we had that problem esp at school. Who wants their class mates to see them half nekkid? I just smiled at the teacher and stated I was sorry but we have issues this morning. Preschool teachers will usually understand. :). My feet are cold,'shoulda put ur shoes on ect....
    stepho345

Answer by stepho345 at 10:16 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• My 3.5 yo can dress himself completely, with the exception of zippers/snaps/buttons - though he tries and asks for help when he can't get them. He puts his own coat & shoes on.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:25 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• w/o or little help
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 8:26 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• my first needed help for a very long time. my second doesn't. but my third does also..
    butterfly1677

Answer by butterfly1677 at 9:54 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• We're working on it. He can get his shoes on, and he knows how to put his clothes on by himself, but he still has trouble with his shirts.

He can't put his socks on himself; I haven't quite figured out how to teach him how to get them on correctly.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 10:28 AM on Oct. 8, 2010