What do you think about having guns in the house?

We have them and keep them locked up. I'm just wondering about everyone else

BigfordBrat

Asked by BigfordBrat at 7:26 AM on Oct. 8, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I have my .45 in my nightstand drawer and hubby has the .38 in his. Both loaded and ready to go.

Now, that being said, anytime there are children in the home our bedroom door is locked so they can't get in there. When we were entertaining, the guns were in the lockbox when our friends brought their kids over. We've always had a gun in the house and taught our son to respect them.

The problem isn't with guns. The problem is with irresponsible parents who own guns and think that their kids will never find their guns so they don't ever bother teaching them to respect the weapon(s).
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 7:38 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I own guns and no one has the right to tell me I can not have them. We practice gun safety such as always assume it is loaded (in other words, be careful!), never point it at someone, etc.
    MaryWolfe

Answer by MaryWolfe at 7:35 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Well, if you own guns, where else are you going to keep them?
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 7:27 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• We have guns, they are locked separate from the ammunition, which is also locked. Our children also know that you never play with a gun - but we're always very careful so they don't have to remember that rule!
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 7:38 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Well, we have two young autistic sons, AND have guns in the house...they are securely locked in a built in wall safe (along with all of our important papers which are in a smaller, portable safe), in the back of a coat closet with combination lock. Not worried! We live in an upscale community. We're not worried about having to use them for protection, unless all hell breaks loose! My husband and his life long friend (retired state trooper) go hunting on occasion and that's when they use them.

Gasp...we even have an in-ground pool WITHOUT a fence around it (installed when our children were 2 1/2 and 6 months old)! You DO realize you CAN teach children about gun (and water) safety and to respect the rules, don't you?!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:44 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Think about my Autistic sons getting curious about them and then something terrible happening. So no, I'll stick with the baseball bat and the cell phone ready to call 9-1-1.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 7:27 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• We keep ours in a gun safe. When DS is old enough, we will take him target practicing like my Dad did with us. Learning first hand the damage a gun could do cured me and my siblings curiousity from ever playing with them.
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 7:41 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• We have several guns. Most of them are locked up. My husband's isn't locked up, but he carries his ALL the time. And mine isn't locked up, but it isn't loaded either. The clip is kept seperate from it, and the safety is kept on the gun. Both of my children are learning about the guns, and they both know what kind of damage they can do. They have both been allowed to shoot one of my husband's rifles. My husband is even hoping to be able to take my son hunting this season so that my son can shoot his first deer. Oh, and my kids are 7 and 9. They will both be as good a shot as their parents are by the time they are 14 or so. The more you know about them, the less likely you are to play with them and hurt someone, or yourself.
    QueenMomma2023

Answer by QueenMomma2023 at 8:03 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I will never allow a gun in my home!
    beeky

Answer by beeky at 8:20 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• We don't own a gun, but if we did locking them up would be a good idea.
    Rnurse

Answer by Rnurse at 7:31 AM on Oct. 8, 2010