Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

School Districts Audiologist or 3 different Speech Therapists? Who would you listen to?

Last year I was finally able to get my son tested for an Auditory Processing Disorder(APD for short). I couldn't have this test done privately due to the fact that only a few Audiologists do it and they didn't take our insurance. Anyways I had to really push the school my son went to to get it done. So here is the thing the Audiologist said that my son didn't have an APD. But he couldn't tell me why my son had the problems that led me to believe he did have an APD. Then my sons new Speech Therapist told me she thought he did have an APD and that all the classroom accommodations the schools Audiologist suggested were the same they would have for kids with APD's. The thing is that the Speech Therapist before her thought he had an APD too and now that he is seeing a new Speech Therapist she said the same and when I asked she said that is why she won't work for the school district. So I wonder what you guys think ?


Asked by cutie222 at 8:14 AM on Oct. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

Level 5 (90 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (7)
  • my son has capd but they do give you the runaround I finally called the district and go that straightened out lol it's a frustrating disablitity it's like a processing disorder and add mixed together as one if ya want personal message me

    Answer by chica679 at 9:48 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

  • i would spring for a private test. if your son's health and well being are at stake, you can find a way.

    Answer by mellypoo at 8:19 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

  • Well if the school audiologist suggested all the accommodations that would be suggested for a kid with APD it sounds like they are trying to avoid labling him but want to give him the services he needs. That actually sounds like a good thing to me. Why do you need the lable if you can get the services? I think he did you a favor.


    Answer by LoveMyDog at 8:25 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

  • I got the runaround too years ago when I wanted to have my son tested. I ended up finding my own audiologist and paid for it out of pocket (bout $500). I learned long ago that the testing done through the school is sub par.

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:22 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

  • I would love to pay for it but cannot afford it being a single parent with no support from his Dad.

    Comment by cutie222 (original poster) at 8:28 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

  • I should clarify that they are not really accommodations but suggestions for the classroom. Since they don't provide services for APD's. As for labeling I know labels are not always good but if you want insurance to cover something you have to have a diagnosis or label per say.

    Comment by cutie222 (original poster) at 8:58 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

  • If your child will receive accommodations then that is good. Insurance normally wont pay for treatment of something diagnosed through school. You would need a medical diagnosis.

    Answer by martinmommy26 at 9:29 AM on Oct. 8, 2010