In-Laws still can't get my name right?

We've been together 2 years and my MIL and BIL still can't say my name right. My fiance corrects them all the time. I feel like they do it on purpose. Should I be offended? Or is my name just that difficult? My name is Shanna, like banana.

Shanna84

Asked by Shanna84 at 8:30 AM on Oct. 8, 2010 in Relationships

• no they are being assholes, or they are just plain stupid (I doubt they could BOTH be that stupid) Maybe you should make up stupid names for them....lol like call them 1 and 2 or something
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 8:35 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I wonder too if it's on purpose. Have fiance stop correcting them and try not to be offended. I would stop talking about it and see what happens. Maybe they will change once they feel the attention is off of them. GL!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:36 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Lol, my ex father in law called me "Lolita" for ten years! He never got it right until the day he died! And while my name starts with an L it is nowhere near Lolita!
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 8:36 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• They are idiots like mine are too they always call me Janet but my name is Janice what the hell is that. I ignore the stupid idiots

Alisim

Answer by Alisim at 8:52 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I have that with my husband's uncle. He calls me Amy. My name is Tina... My husband and I have been married 11 years so you'd think in that space of time he'd get a clue!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:30 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Next time they say it wrong, maybe you could speak up and say "my name is not Shawna or Shannon. It is Shanna- very easy to remember as it rhymes with banana".
    Now you could be a bit of a smart-ass about it and If they call you by the wrong name give them a blank look (like you did not know who they were talking to) and say "oh were you talking to me? My name is not Shannon so I was not sure who you were talking to".
    My mom's family used to always call me by my sisters name (we looked nothing alike). So I would call them by someone else's name. They got the point and ever since then I have been called by my name. Maybe try that and instead of saying 'Fred and Ethel' call them 'Frank and Edna' a few times(like right after they call you Shannon) and see if they catch it and get the point.
    Good luck!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:58 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• There's nothing wrong with your name, there's something wrong with them.
    debnich501960

Answer by debnich501960 at 12:36 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Are they just pronouncing it weird? Do they have a regional accent that makes your name difficult for them to pronounce? Or are they calling you "Mary"?

If it really bothers you, I would quietly sit down with both of them and ask if they knew they weren't getting your name correct. More than likely, they may not know that they're doing it. If their accent is such that getting your name correct is not possible for them, perhaps you could hit on a cute nicname or you could start seeing their pronounciation as something special that only they have.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 8:38 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Thanks for the good comments. No they don't have an accent. I think they really are that dumb. I am realizing that I am probably going to have to deal with it forever. The call me shawna or shannon. I think it's extremely rude.
    Shanna84

Comment by Shanna84 (original poster) at 9:34 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• They're being assholes. I've been with my husband for six years and the first time I met his family, they were saying my name right (Tamara - tam-uh-ruh).
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 9:58 AM on Oct. 8, 2010