How old before a child is diagnosed with autism? And what type of problems do they have? I know there are many types of autism but I'm wondering if my son may have it....

Kylie0427

Asked by Kylie0427 at 9:31 AM on Oct. 8, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• they usually start testing around 2. but it depends on the case. i thought my youngest had it, but it turns out he was just a very late bloomer with everything!! you should talk to your dr. what signs is he showing? there are people that can come to the house to observe and can help determine if there are are more studies needed. good luck
    butterfly1677

Answer by butterfly1677 at 9:45 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• When child is at play, call their name, if they turn and look its a good thing. If they don't go for further with Dr. Its about 1 1/2 - 2yrs depending on development of child. Thank god I hot had this issue. Good luck.
    stepho345

Answer by stepho345 at 10:07 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• They can test at 2 years now. There are certain things they look for. Is his speech age appropriate? Does he socialize well with others? Does he repeat everything you say over and over? Does he have an obsession with ONE thing and wants to play with that even after bing redirected? Does he smile, point, interact with the family and friends?
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 10:45 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Well Kyle just turned 3 and has absolutely no attention span whatsoever...he asks the same things over and over thats his obsession what is this what is that and the sad thing is he knows bc he can answer the questions himself. he just recently had a mri on his brain bc he has tremors all the time and speech and motor skills seem to come and go...and my cousin who is 10 was just finally diagnosed with aspergers autism and kyle shows a lot of the same signs she did at that age. idk if its just that i'm so paranoid or what but i am not the only one in my family who notices it. Not to mention he can b just down right mean a lot of times and he was not raised that way. Maybe its just a phase idk but it concerns me.
    Kylie0427

Comment by Kylie0427 (original poster) at 3:52 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• If it concerns you then have him evaluated for it. Tell them your concerns and only good can come out of it. If they say no then. I dunno if its a yes you know what your dealing with. My 3 year DS is a monkey see monky do. So if he's in preschool that could explain the meaness. Pop in and chat with the school . The teachers see waaaay more kids than I do and prolly u too and could be able to offer suggestions also. This kinda thing is genetic? If so tell your pedi.
    Boys are visual they start throwing a fit say LOOK! OMG what is that? Do you see it? What is that? It helps. Girls are do ers. Chore handlers. Have him count too when he gets mad. If the !look! doesn't help. &Talk to him. Mine understands almost everything I say to him. And when he asks you what something is that you already know he knows say I don't have Any idea, what IS it? And put it on your head or something silly. See if he corrects you.
    stepho345

Answer by stepho345 at 11:28 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• between 2-3 years old is normally when they are tested for it. If you are concerned talk with his doctor about available tests for it. It's better safe than sorry.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 4:49 PM on Oct. 9, 2010