Head lice + Fairy Tales products - any experience?

My youngest has just begun kindergarten and of course there's head lice at the school. I have older kids, so have experience with lice and honestly it doesn't bother me that much. It's just a pain to deal with.

My real concern is that Brigid (who has Down syndrome) absolutely hates having her hair washed, brushed and cut. (Seriously - it takes 3-4 sessions to get her bangs cut and at least 7 to get her hair cut.) So now I'm terrified that she will get lice and I'll have to find a doctor willing to sedate her so I can treat it.

So I heard about these hair care products for kids which supposedly repel lice. They have a line that treats it too, but I bought the repel kind.

Has anyone had experience with these products and what's your feeling about them?

MeggieSwan

Asked by MeggieSwan at 9:31 AM on Oct. 8, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My brothers kids use to have head lice all the time, and when we went over to his house for Christmas we put our hair up and used the repel spray in our hair. It really works if you can stand the smell. It smells like flowers or something and it's about $10 for a small spray bottle.
    Momabear455

Answer by Momabear455 at 9:15 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• never heard of it but I am going to look it up! And I feel your pain. My son has Asperger's and it was a nightmare cutting his hair...It has just recently gotten better. At one of those places where he can sit in a car and watch his favorite movie. You know the over priced ones...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:40 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I looked it up and it has good reviews mostly based on the fact that they are just good products and that they smell nice. I guess if nothing else you have good products that smell nice. lol. I would make the teachers aware of your concern so they can try to help with prevention, things like rolling on the floor and sharing hats and dress up stuff. I'm sure you have already done that though!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:52 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Supposedly has something to do with the specific combo of ingredients - citronella, rosemary etc. She smelled like a salad heading out the door this morning!

How old is your son?
    MeggieSwan

Comment by MeggieSwan (original poster) at 10:44 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• i havent
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 1:05 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• If you put Tea Tree Oil in your shampoo, it is supposed to repel the lice also.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 5:47 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• tea tree oil is one of the ingredients
    MeggieSwan

Comment by MeggieSwan (original poster) at 4:14 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• It makes sense. As far as I know, bugs are often repelled by those things. I know fleas are. I use Tea Tree shampoo on my children in hopes that they will not get lice.
    MeandMyBabes

Answer by MeandMyBabes at 7:07 PM on Oct. 12, 2010