I have a checking account that has been passed over to the debt collectors bc a year a go i cancled my account! BUT...

APPARENTLY there was 10 CENTS, yes i said CENTS that was over... i was not notified until a MONTH ago!!

i already have a checking account somewhere else (that i had before this all happend), but i want to get another one where i live, ( i just moved a month ago )...

THE QUESTION IS: will i be able to open another account with my other bank account being turned over to the collection agency...??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:56 PM on Oct. 25, 2008 in Money & Work

• It was 10 cents overdrafted? I doubt that will be held against you. Take the documentation with you when you go to open another account and explain what happened. They likely use and automated system to send those to collections...and overdraft that small would cost a whole lot more to collect than you owe!
    profmom922

Answer by profmom922 at 9:16 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• Would the bank say something to me about it if i opened the account??
    Anonymous

• Ok, so my mom had a similar situation, but it was with a JC Penny card. She had 32 cents worth of charges on it and they sent her a bill. This is what she did (and was my husbands idea):

She sent them a check for 22 cents. A few weeks later she got a statement for 10 cents. At that point, she sends them a check for $1. (The credit card account is closed, BTW.) So, a few weeks later she got a check in the mail for 90 cents. She walked away feeling much better about the whole thing because it cost JC Penney $1.26 in postage to collect 32 cents on the bill. I don't know if it would work with the collection account, but it's always a way to just kind of be like "since your dumb enough to bill me for this I'm going to make you pay for it".
    melamommy24

Answer by melamommy24 at 2:46 AM on Oct. 26, 2008

• If you just pay the 10 cents it should clear things up...I know what you mean though, I had debt collectors calling my father and friends...but they wouldn't say what the debt was for when they called them. I knew I wasn't in debt with anyone so I was getting pretty mad! It was a $4.59 charge for something I had ordered but returned and they never processed the return! Its ridiculous what these little amounts do to your life!!!
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 7:42 AM on Oct. 26, 2008

• Make sure to tell them when you pay the 10 cents that they know to report as paid in full and the account in good standing
    jrdnjstn00

Answer by jrdnjstn00 at 9:21 PM on Oct. 26, 2008