Bully at school?

So my son told me that him and his friends have been having problems with this older boy at school. This boy runs inti them at recess and knocks them over and he grab my sons friend in the bathroom and hit him in the stomache then told my son if he say his face again he would punch him. The teacher know about it and I'm hoping everything is taken care of but I told my son if the boy keeps bothering them to let someone know and if the boy punches him he has my permission to hit him back, is this wrong? I explained that it's not right to hit but that you have to stick up for yourself sometimes.

nicolew_83

Asked by nicolew_83 at 10:03 AM on Oct. 8, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Definitely let the teacher know. If it were me, I would even take it upon myself to go to the office and let the guidance counselor AND the principal know. That little bully needs to get in trouble! He should get kicked out of school for a few days for hitting your son's friend. I am going to try NOT to encourage my daughter to hit people back if they hit her. I don't want her to stoop to their level and I want her to know that violence is not the answer and it's not going to solve anything. But of course if the person is beating her up and preventing her from getting up and walking away, she has a right to self defense!
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 10:11 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I'd contact the teacher and let him/her know how concerned you are about the bully situation and ask what is being done about it. I would even contact someone in the office -- principal/guidance counselor and let them know that you are concerned about what is going on. As for hitting back-- our school has a zero tolerance policy and ALL children who hit (does not matter who started it, or 'self defense') would be punished for hitting.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:16 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I will do what they said about contacting the teacher, principal and letting them know what is going on. About the hitting back well I will tell him the same thing. I know is wrong but he cant let them hit him and do nothing. He has to show them that he will not be an easy target. I was bully in school and they would pick at me until the day I stand up for myself and show them that I was not scare and that I will defend myself. Good luck
    Alisim

Answer by Alisim at 10:25 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• This is just me.....but.....if a child, regardless what the age on the child is, if my son is being physically assaulted at the school then no way will I let the matter drop. The school will have two options: 1) ensure my child's safety and have a written safety plan that is given to me. 2) if they cannot comply with number one I go with option two. Which is I call the police. It is assault. You can say kids will be kids but if this child doesn't get the intervention now, the bully, what happens later is he becomes an adult bully. It might mean that he sexually harasses women in his work place, rapes women in college, embezzles money or causes corporate bullying. Either way your child needs to know you will protect him, advocate for him, fights for his rights.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 1:01 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I would go straight to the principal if this continues. Our school has zero tolerance and you have to advocate all the way to the top if the teacher is not doing anything.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 9:05 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• i would be @ the school to hold a conference to make sure this is taken care of. too much bullying is still goin on @ schools. stay on top of this and dont think the school gonna do it for you
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 1:04 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• You need to do something about this RIGHT NOW.. Don't wait. I know you said you talked to the Teacher. But, I think the older boy should be punished I would have them bring the Boy thats doing the bullying in to the office along with his parents have a talk with them and the teachers at the same time. Don't wait. Its really hard for kids to really express how they feel. I'm not saying your kid would do this. But, didn't you hear that the suicidal rate in children went up. And it was all because they were being bullied and couldn't handle it. These moms didn't think their kids would ever kill themselves either. Anyway, Figure out the problem right away and have a sit down with everyone! Make sure you include your sons friend and his parents as well. They may not know whats going on. Good luck and I hope that SOMEONE puts a stop to it. I am sure your son is hurting inside.
    smarie1011

Answer by smarie1011 at 9:58 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Sure, it's not right to hit, FIRST. Hitting 2nd is ok. (I'm not being sarcastic, go for the throat!) Get in there and make sure they're actually doing something about it. The older boy probably needs to have alternative recess, especially if he's attacking younger boys in the bathroom. The older one obviously cannot be trusted.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 9:22 AM on Oct. 13, 2010