House burning down?

Have you heard about the man who's house was burning down and the fire department stood there and watched it burn because he hadn't paid for his fire service. It would have been $75.00 but he didn't pay it so the fire dept did nothing but keep the neighbors' house from burning. Three years ago they had to come to his house to put out a fire and he had not paid but they let him pay after the fire was taken care of. What are your thoughts on this?

treynlisa

Asked by treynlisa at 10:10 AM on Oct. 8, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I think that's ridiculous. That was that man's home! I'm speechless. All because of money?
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 10:13 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• That's bullshit. For $75? And then they call you begging for donations and get pissed when you tell them no. WTF?
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 10:14 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• His ass should have paid like he is required to do. Why allow him to slide and only pay when there is an issue when everyone else has paid consistency?

I said it before and I will say it again...I received a letter from my fire department stating that I have to pay $100.00/year to guarantee their services in time of fire. I was given MANY months notice. So, I had time to save up. This happens year after year. The letter clearly states that in order to have my house protected by them, I MUST pay. Failure to do so will result in them not showing up. So, I pay the damn fee.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:14 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• well..now that you mention it..his house sure seems to catch fire often..son burning 'trash' three years ago, too?
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:14 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Wouldnt that be considered willful destruction of his property? Its their JOB to stop fires, not check paperwork to see if someone has paid. You say that they only kept it from spreading, but the only 100% way to keep it from spreading is to PUT IT OUT, so there I would say they were also guilty of reckless endangerment. I think what they did was stupid and mean and definitely not necessary.
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 10:15 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• He had been asked to pay the fee for a long time and he chose not to, that is how that town is run. I think that is messed up but he could have found 20 cents a day and gotten it together. It's protection for your home. thats important.
    gottalovemal

Answer by gottalovemal at 10:15 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• We call can say he should have paid the fee, but if it happened to one of us and our house, memories, and pets burned down while the fire department watched, we would be just as devastated. I'm guessing he is probably feeling like a major shithead right now. And please don't say that we all would have paid the fee because a lot of people would not have paid. But after hearing this, I know if wherever I lived had a fire fee, I would pay it. Then again, I do pay my bills but I will not fault him for not paying because it could have been any of us.
    bubsiclesmom

Answer by bubsiclesmom at 10:19 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• THEY GIVE YOU MONTHS TO PAY!!!! Not to mention he hasn't paid in years and he was reminded. Too damn bad about his stuff. If it was THAT important, he would have paid.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:23 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I was mad about the fire department doing nothing until I heard the part about him getting help 3 years ago even though he hadn't paid.
    treynlisa

Comment by treynlisa (original poster) at 10:24 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• @OP: You are exactly right. He was reminded and helped and knew better.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:29 AM on Oct. 8, 2010