Preschooler picking up bad habbits at school...

My 3 year old started preschool last month.. His teachers always say what a sweetie he is and how helpful and eager to please he is. Also minds manors. This fits him to a T and is the child we are raising, however shortly after school began he started doing things iut of character for him, like kicking,hitting, saying shut up (didnt hear that at this house!) taking toys off of his sister, throwing tantrums and just a total wrong turn from where he was before starting. He came home in a bad mood yesterday and when i tried simply ask him what e wanted to drink, he said Dont talk to me, i told him he will not speak to me that way so he decides to kick me.. and he also kicked his sister. Now he had a prior problem with a chld bullying him but its been delt wiht on schools end and our end. I asked his teacher for a confrence> how do i approach this and what do i ask her?

juansmommy

Asked by juansmommy at 10:14 AM on Oct. 8, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• That's where you come in and teach him it's not appropriate to behave that way. I mean kids are going to pick up bad behavior from other kids. Unfortunately. But that's why you have to be strict and tell them it's not okay and punish him if he continues to do it. I know my DD picked up fussy and temper-tantrum behavior just after going to a birthday party where most of the kids whined. We set her straight right away, letting her spend a good deal of time in the corner until she understood that it wasn't appropriate to behave that way at all. She's 3 btw.
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 10:17 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Welcome to the rest of parenthood. Your kid is going to be exposed to other people more and more as he gets older, and he is going to be learning good and bad stuff from all of them. His behavior to me sounds less like him picking up bad habits and more like he's having difficulty adjusting to the new situations of school. I think he just needs patient redirection and firm, consistent correction of his behavior. Absolutely share your concerns with the teacher and ask her what you can be doing from home to help him through this transition.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 10:20 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Can you change schools? Home School?
    anjuliesmom

Answer by anjuliesmom at 10:30 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Sounds like he's picking it up from other kids in the class. My nephew goes to a curriculum set day care and picked up quite a few phrases that I wasn't happy about him sharing with my daughter (as well as actions, etc, like hitting, no toy sharing, saying "shut up" or "go away").

Keep explaining that that behavior WON"T be tolerated and it eventually starts to go away. But be sure you acknowledge to HIM mostly that it's unacceptable. My DD cut back on it because she knows it's not acceptable, but my nephew only got worse because his parents don't address it.

As for the teacher, perhaps she can through in a few extra activities that involve correcting this behavior (like learning to share, etc), but unless the other kids parents are working with their own kids, it will probably still continue in the class room.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 4:54 PM on Oct. 9, 2010