do you want to know what really irks me? people saying "they were born gay"...

like being gay is a handycap or something..okay so what if you believe someone is gay at heart or truly gay. The statement "they are born gay" makes it sound like gays have some kind of disability. people get mad at me because i believe in choice but some of you don't know how ignorant you sound saying "they were born that way"..like being gay is an outsider. I was born human..to make choices.

shay1130

Asked by shay1130 at 10:17 AM on Oct. 8, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I love how you said you were born human to make choices. That is awesome and I couldn't agree more!
    Mipsy

Answer by Mipsy at 10:30 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• You're born gay just like you're born African American, Caucasian, Asian, female, male, etc. Being "born gay" doesn't sound like they're saying it's a disability at all. But we're all entitled to our own opinions..
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 10:20 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• when i say that i mean they are still choosing to live a gay life..

Like OMG they are choosing to be honest with themselves. How horrible, because you know it's like a total affront to society to not give in to peer pressure and be a lemming. They decided to be happy with who they are instead of trying to appease others and be miserable and live a lie. Like, OMG, WTF, we all know they need to give into peer pressure and pretend to be who they aren't because who they really are gives me the willies and makes me feel dirty because when I hear gay I only think of gays having sex. Gay sex is dirty.

Give me a freaking break, okay. Some people are GAY, you don't like it. Get over it!
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:17 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• being gay, like being stupid, is not a choice. ty for making my point =)
    do_me22

Answer by do_me22 at 10:20 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• The statement "born Gay" isn't like comparing it to a disability, it's simply referring to the fact that at the time of their birth their brain chemistry was and is "Gay" in nature... It's been proven that their brain chemistry is different from a straight person... How is it possible that someone CHOOSES their brain Chemistry? Really? You're smarter than that!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:32 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I have a gay cousin, he decided acting on those feelings was against his religion, he decided to control himself and not act upon them

You do realize that just becase a person is gay does not automatically mean they are having "gay sex" right? He's still gay whether he is acting on "those feelings" or not. Why is it that sex is the only thing people think of when they here the word gay?
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:55 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I think that being gay is like me being black. I was born that way with all the hardship and joy that comes with it. I don't bash people who don't agree with it due to religious reasons, but those people seem to always forget that you should love your neighbor as yourself.

I don't think gay people (and I am a gay friend magnet) want the sympathy card anymore than I do, I think that they use the term "born gay" to say that they did not have a choice in the matter. Sure you can deny your feelings and live a straight life, but really would you want to be married to someone who suppressed homosexual feelings... I know I would not, I would always feel like they want something that I could not provide.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 10:57 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I can agree with you there.. I think it's just people's way of saying being gay is an innate characteristic and they did not suddenly decide one day that they wanted to be gay.
    Lisa.Price

Answer by Lisa.Price at 10:20 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Using the term "born....." simply means the person had NO CHOICE in the matter. Your lack of knowledge on this subject is showing-

I was born in December is just a fact....certainly does not imply a disability of any sort-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 10:23 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Making the statement 'born gay' is correct, like I was born with red hair. It is an innate characteristic - an integral part of me and not something I had a choice in.
    reelo

Answer by reelo at 10:47 AM on Oct. 8, 2010