How small is 'too small' in toddlers?

my daughter just turned 3 and is 24 pounds. he has been for 3 months now. WIC is freaking out but her doctor seems un concerned because she is developing adn growing on 'her curve'. She is consistantly in the 6% or lower. Who is right? Is she too small? I dunno how tall she is. She wears 24 month clothes but they have to have and adjustable waist.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:20 AM on Oct. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• Listen to your doctor and your gut. If your child is healthy, eats at a least a little bit, and is staying on her growth curve, she is fine...just small. Some kids and some adults are smaller than average, and that is ok. Two of my kids are like that, and they are both very healthy.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 11:39 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I never pay attention to what WIC says. They are so stupid. They always tell me my daughter is too small. She is two and is around 24 pounds and is like 33 1/2 inches tall. Her doctor says she is healthy and she is just going to be slim and tall. That he's happy that she's slim and not overweight. As long as the doctor says she is doing fine, then she's fine.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 10:23 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Don't worry if your doctors not worried I have the same problem with my daughter she is super tiny for her age but is healthy and smart as can be. :)
    nicolew_83

Answer by nicolew_83 at 10:25 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Every child is an individual don't let wic bug you about her size. Your Dr sees the over all picture of a consistant curve. Time to worry is if the growthcurve pattern. Changes drastically. Most 3 year olds have growth spurts vs slow and steady weight gain and most 3 year olds. Don't get weighed and charted monthly.
    I have a 5 year old that is just over 30 pounds and a 14 year old that is about75 pounds. Both have maintained their own growth curve and are healthy. My 15 year old daughter. Is over a foot taller than her sister and has 60 pounds on her one takes after me and one after her father and both are doing just fine
    mtnaspen

Answer by mtnaspen at 10:31 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• IMO,that's too little. My pedi likes to see the kids in at least the 25% percentile. You child not gaining weight should concern you

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:22 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• im not sure.was she a small baby? my dd is 3 and is about 32lbs but she was also 8lbs 6oz at birth. WIC hates it when they can get a right weight or w/e and they're always more concered about everything then what the dr's are. i would say if she has a healthy appetie and is gaining weight i wouldnt really worry about WIC.
    JasminesMommy06

Answer by JasminesMommy06 at 10:23 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I was 32 lbs in Kindergarten and I was/am fine. I was born at 8lbs 14oz and 23ins. I didn't even lose weight as a baby and I grew fine. I was just little. I say WIC can suck it and the doctor is who I would listen to.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:26 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• @mtnaspen: LOL, my 14y/o is 89lbs. But, he fell off his curve. He was 50% for height and weight, now, he is below 50% for weight. He eats like a horse though, so, I am sure he will surpass soon.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:33 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I think that is too little. My son's dr told me that he should consistently, even if slowly gain weight. My son is 4.5 years old and weighs 38lbs.  He is also 45inches tall. 

Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 10:40 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• from what I can tell the people at WIC are morons.  Don't listen to them.  If your doctor says she is fine then she is fine.  They are the ones that went to medical school.  The WIC people get their infor off a little sheet of paper from the government.

My oldest dd was always tiny.  She was only 20lbs when she turned 2 (same weight she was at 18 months).  At 3 she was like 26lbs, I think.  I know she started kindergarten and was 32lbs with her clothes.  She's 10 now and only weighs 47lbs.  I'm not sure if she is even on their little chart any more.  Her doctors were never worried as long as she ate healthy.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:46 PM on Oct. 8, 2010