What are some fun agmes?

My kids are learning sight words and reading short books, what are some good home made games to play with them where they can learn but still have fun?

nicolew_83

Asked by nicolew_83 at 10:29 AM on Oct. 8, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• WE used to play a matching game but it was for rhyming words not pictures so all the cards were turned over and you flipped them one at a time trying to find a rhyme. recently we have added sentence completion. WE each have a stack of words and take turns laying words down to make silly sentences. The only rule is it has to make sense. Like last night we had the sentence 'I like cold monkey cookies' lol. It was fun. We have the words. I kind of sort them out before we play to make sure we have words that will work together.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:36 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• How about a scavenger hunt with words and/or pictures and have little prize or treat when they find the last one? Use small dry erase boards and markers and use them to communicate with no talking. I used this technique at my last job to help kids spell and use new words. Have them interview family members concentrating on who, what, why where, how and make a book. Letter or word magnets on the refrigerator or dishwasher. Use kid friendly simple recipes using both words and pictures and cook together. There are lots of fun ways to learn!
    jessa1091

Answer by jessa1091 at 10:52 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• You know I forgot we also used to do 'action' words. I would hold up a word that said 'Clap', 'spin' or 'Jump' and the first one to do the action got a point. We played this same game with body parts and animals. DH always let DS win...I think. lol.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:46 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• scrabble...I recall when I was lil having a scrabble junior which had whole words and you made up sentences
    Carey2006

Answer by Carey2006 at 11:00 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• go to the dollar tree there's this folder phonics games and we have tons of fun playin it
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 1:02 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• jingo - it;s like bingo but with words instead of letters . if you are looking for math games too . try dominos
    chris13

Answer by chris13 at 4:44 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Rhyming games are fun with beginning readers. It also helps them learn about word families. Sometimes, we'll just sit and pick a word and then make words that rhyme. They don't have to be real words.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 9:21 AM on Oct. 13, 2010