Anybody have a good chilli recipe (not spicy)

How many does it serve and how long does it take to cook?

Inheritingkids

Asked by Inheritingkids at 10:37 AM on Oct. 8, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I always wing it. But here goes! And i have won several cookoff's with this one...

1 lb ground pork
    1 lb ground beef
    1 red beel pepper diced
    1 green bell pepper diced
    1 large onion diced
    4-6 cloves garlic (i put like 6 in there)
    1 can beans pinto beans
    1 can kidney beans
    1 can tomato sauce
    1 can tomato paste
    1-2 cups water (the water will cook out, so don't worry if it seems too watery at first)
    (I eyeball all my spices, i have no idea how much i actually put in there, but here goes)

a bunch of chili powder, i'd say 1/4th cup
    cayenne pepper
    cumin
    oreegano
    red pepper flakes
    paprika
    about 1 tbsp pure coacoa
    1 teaspoon cinnamon (this is my secret ingredient & i believe it's what makes it different than the rest, people LOVE it though & you can't isolate it at all)

don't go be shy with the spices!

Cont....
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:45 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• cook the peppers & onions until they start to sweat. Add the ground beef & cook until done. Add everything else & let simmer about 2 hours (longer if you want, but be careful not to burn it) In order not to burn the bottom, i stack my oven grates or whatevre you call them. I tak eon off one burner & put it on top of the other one so that the pot is not directly on the fire, but close enough. This really helps it not burn/ If you burn your chili, which is easy to do, you will ruin the whole pot.

Good luck! And don't tell anyone about the cinnamon! Everyone will be asking you what you put in there that makes it so good & you can tell them it's your special secret!

I forgot to add....it needs a 1-2 tablespoons of brown sugar to offset the acidity of the tomatoes. Brown sugar compliments it the best. You can also add a can of diced tomato if you like some tomato chunks in there.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:49 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Thanks
    Inheritingkids

Comment by Inheritingkids (original poster) at 10:53 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I cook 2 lbs of hamburger - I always chop some onions and cook with, but you can omit them. Drain the cooked meat. Add a can of tomato juice and beans - chili beans give you a little chili flavor, if you don't want that use kidney beans & whatever others you want. I like adding a jar of salsa - mild gives you the veggies with no heat. I also add black pepper & chili powder - yes it gives it spice but we like it spicy, you can skip them or just add a little bit. Takes less than an hour and feeds 6 of us with plenty of leftovers. I like to cook it low & slow or in the crock pot though so it thickens up.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 10:54 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• i just noticed you said "not spicy" You cam omit the cayenne & red pepper flakes as that does add some heat. Chili powder is not spicy, so you can go nuts with it. And i also noticed i forgot to put black pepper in there, it definitely needs black pepper....

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:30 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• sorry for all my typo's i get excited when i talk about food...lol. There should be some salt in there too, I'm sure you would have added some anyway...lol!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:31 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• cook a bag of dry kidney beans in a crock pot all day, brown and drain hamburger meat, add a packet of mcCormic's mild chili mix, or chili-o mix to meat, add other ingredients listed on back of mix package, simmer 15 minutes, add to beans and allow to simmer 40 minutes stirring occasionally so beans do not stick to pot and scorch
    beckybuck

Answer by beckybuck at 12:29 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Best Chili Ever – you can use any bean; 1 can = 1/5 cups home cooked
    2 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes
    4 cups vegetable broth
    1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
    1 (15-ounce) can white (cannellini) beans, rinsed and drained
    1 (15-ounce) can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
    1 cup frozen baby lima beans or regular lima beans or corn
    1 cup chopped onion
    1/2 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 can tomato paste
    2 tablespoons chili powder, or more to taste
    2 tablespoons dried Mexican oregano or regular oregano (or more to taste)
    2 teaspoons ground cumin (or more to taste)
    1 teaspoon ground coriander (or more to taste)
    1 to 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
    1-2 Tbl masa, mixed with cold water
    1/2 cup shredded Monterey jack cheese
    1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
    Salt to taste (I add this last)

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 2:35 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• If you don’t have a slowcooker, this can simmer on the stove; stir and add liquid as needed. In a slow cooker, combine all ingredients but the masa, shredded cheese, cilantro and salt. Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours or on HIGH for 3 to 4 hours. Five to 10 minutes before serving (depending on temperature of slow cooker) add masa and water mixture, cover and cook for about 15 minutes. Season, to taste, with salt and other spices.
    Just before serving, top each serving with shredded cheese and cilantro.

I usually serve with brown rice

Answer by rkoloms at 2:36 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I think the best chili is when you cook it one day and serve it the next so the spices have time to gel/blend.

My Mom years ago used to NOT drain the meat and once in the fridge the fat from the meat rose to the top overnight, she'd spoon it out. Though later she would drain the meat before adding it to the sauce mixture and made sure she got out as much grease from the meat she could!

I like my chili over angel hair pasta with a spoonful of extra cooked onion on top and mild or sharp cheddar cheese.

Reminds me of Skyline Chili from Cincinnati!

LilyPondOasis

Answer by LilyPondOasis at 4:30 PM on Oct. 8, 2010