Question for Believers

This question stems from the previous two about if it is ok to teach children about Jesus and Atheism.
It is a question for religious Moms.
If you say you will teach your children about atheism or other religions, how would you present it to them? In the light of Bible, which has specific paragraphs about non believers or other beliefs, or in any other ways?

BeaMoore

Asked by BeaMoore at 10:45 AM on Oct. 8, 2010 in Religious Debate

• My children know that there are people who dont believe in Jesus...I dont necessarily have to teach this, they just know. I dont completely hide them from the world. They know there are many different belief systems in our world. I will not go in depth about other religions, if they chose to do so as they get older that is fine.
    armyofmany

Answer by armyofmany at 10:50 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• My son is 6 and he knows ALOT about God and Jesus. My husband & I teach stright from the bible, not alot of sugar coating. We are Christian and believe in teaching our son, not school or friends or society "the world" in general.
    king0913

Answer by king0913 at 10:51 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I'm guessing from my question, that atheists/nonbelievers are "fools" LOL! But hey lets hope that I am wrong:)
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 10:51 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• well i wont be using the Bible to do it b/c i find that modern day ideas of others faiths will lead to tolerance while an old perspective that says witches should be burned and calls Atheists fools leads to hate & fear. i plan on teaching my kid(s) what other religions teach/believe and thats it, nothing about it being true or false. i find religion fascinating to so i feel i have a good enough basic idea to inform others of other belief groups. if my child chooses another path thats their right and i want them to be aware of what they are choosing...factually aware, not fearfully aware. cause w/ the way the Christian churches are going...they probably wont want to be apart of it...somedays i dont either.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:54 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I am letting my kids learn about religion as they go...both Grandmas have taken them to their church and we talk about whats the same and whats different...I beleive there is some validity and truth in all religions. When my kids are older hey can become a member of any religiouse group they choose I will support them in any choice they make because I am doing my best to make sure that they have had the opportunity to understand as many religions as possible before they make that choice...as for the specific paragraphs about nonbeleivers I have already had to discuss that with my oldest (he is 6) when he came home in tears because his family had to got to hell because they didn't know Jesus like Grandma did...I just had a talk with him about the fact that there are hundreds of beleif systems out there and that all of them require Faith in that system...Grandma may beleive that if she chooses but he didn't have to *cont*
    pregoagain2010

Answer by pregoagain2010 at 10:58 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• When I educate my child on the different beliefs I'm going to present him with "some people believe this" "some people believe that" "its up to you to decide what you believe for yourself, but I'm going to help you by exposing you to as much as possible'. I intend on thoroughly educating him, in the beliefs, history, etc, of the different faiths, and letting him decide for himself what resonates with him, without any pressure from me.

Atheism will be included in his education, just like everything else, and he will understand that one can be religious and not be theistic, or one can be spiritual and not be religious, or that one can be neither spiritual or religious/theistic, and that as long as he's compassionate and respectful towards his fellow man and what they believe, and he understands his options and whatever he accepts/rejects, I don't care what path/affiliation he claims.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:58 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• that doesn't make her right or wrong because Faith is personal and for everyone to decide for themselves I know that my children will be well educated by the time they make a decision about religion and it is my goal that through education there will be tolorance
    pregoagain2010

Answer by pregoagain2010 at 10:59 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Oh, and I agree with okmanders, I won't be using the Bible, unless I'm discussing Christianity. I will probably use my world religion books and online sources and individuals - if I could find specific places, like a Mosque or Temple to take him to that would be even better. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 11:00 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• king0913, do you honestly plan to tell your children that non believers are fools and they will go to hell if they don't accept Christian faith?. Do you think this would be a fair description of this group of people?
    BeaMoore

Comment by BeaMoore (original poster) at 11:01 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I will teach my kids EVERYTHING in light of Scripture .. including religion.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 11:34 AM on Oct. 8, 2010