Non-Christians: Does it bother you when someone say's Merry Christmas?

or do you just respond 'Happy holidays' or 'thank you' or what ever and then go about your day. I don't understand.

I plan on asking this question the other way around as well.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:46 AM on Oct. 8, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Typically it does not bother me, after all it's simply a wish of good tidings. However, if I were to say Happy Holidays to them and they sneer back at me with a "It's Merry CHRISTmas" than yeah, it's annoying and bothersome. Afterall, Christmas isn't the only holiday celebrated during the winter season.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:49 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I say Merry Christmas. I don't care it is Christmas.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:48 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I personally say Happy Holidays, unless it is x-mas DAY. The only time I am bothered is when "merry CHRISTmas" is spoken in a condescending manner, or someone 'corrects' me for not saying marry x.mas.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:02 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Generally, no. However, if I am buying a bunch of Hanuka candles, challah and other obviously Jewish items, then I get annoyed.

When I worked retail I would always say Merry Christmas and a lot of the customers, especially the ones who knew me (I was the only one with a Jewish Star shaped stocking at the shop) would ask me why I said it. I would tell them because it was a day to spend with my family watching movies and eating pancakes. Even if I don't celebrate it could be a wonderful day.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 11:11 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Why would it bother me? I don't celebrate Christmas persay, but it's still a day on the Calendar... Why would someone wishing me a good day bother me? I don't tend to say anything but thanks... No Happy Holidays, No Merry Christmas, No Blessed Yule... Just Thanks...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:21 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Nope.  I say Merry Christmas or happy holidays, whichever one rolls off my tongue first.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 11:21 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• No it doesn't bother me mainly because they are still giving me a positive blessing and its mainly the only time of year when some people are sincere about extending some blessings to strangers. I answer happy holidays.
    Cheveyo1

Answer by Cheveyo1 at 11:34 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Not at all. I celebrate Christmas anyway....somebody wishing me a good time is in no way offensive. I tend to say "Happy Holidays" just because I want to wish everybody a happy holiday day regardless of what they celebrate. Plus, I tend to think that when I say Happy Holidays to Christians I am just including both Christmas and New Year.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 11:48 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• No it doesn't bother me. I prefer Happy Holidays because christmas is NOT the only thing celebrated at that time of year. Seems alot of people tend to forget that and get all hung up on Jesus's un-birthday. I say UN-birthday because we don't really know for sure the date. Just the one the Pope chose to celebrate it on.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 12:31 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

I agree with this. Also, it does get annoying when people insist on saying "Merry Christmas" every day from Thanksgiving on. Xmas is ONE DAY, but people stretch the season out for months, and get annoyed when you acknowledge that there are other things being celebrated when you say "Happy Holidays".
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:08 PM on Oct. 8, 2010