Christians: DOes it bother you if someones says' Happy Holidays' or Happy Hanuka' to y ou?

or do you respond politely with a 'Merry Christmas' or
Thank you' and go on. I don't get this issue at all.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:48 AM on Oct. 8, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Doesn't bother me at all. I understand others have different beliefs and have a different way of celebrating. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:53 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Nope, I just say Merry Christmas back. I dont think it is being disrespectful. Usually the people I hear happy holidays from are those in the retail industry and they have to keep it neutral!
    armyofmany

Answer by armyofmany at 10:52 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Not in the least! I understand not everyone is a Christian. I smile and say, "Merry Christmas". And, honestly, I do not say that out of disrespect for their beliefs, rather out of respect for my own!
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 10:55 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I am not fussy or particularly worried about what anyone says. Just the fact that they are being friendly and communicating is good enough for me!
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 1:08 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• No it doesn't bother me at all, the intention was meant as a friendly happy exchange and that's how I receive it. However I do enjoy hearing Merry Christmas and that is what I say.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 1:16 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• It doesn't bother me in the least when someone says Happy Holidays and I will repeat to them what they've said to me out of respect, but I am a Christian and I will say Merry Christmas.
    motherofpearls

Answer by motherofpearls at 10:50 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• i love it! ppl wishing me well for the season, its awesome! i usually say Happy Holidays myself unless i know the person celebrates Christmas or Hanukkah....then i tailor it to their holiday. my response is usually "thank you!" or "same to you!"...i love how happy ppl seem to be around the tri-fecta of holidays.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:59 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• no. I just repeat what they say back. I understand people are of different backgrounds
    Bugbait

Answer by Bugbait at 11:02 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• no, it does not. what do i usually say in return? ''have a great holiday, merry xmas!!''

one time, when someone wished me a 'happy yule', i automatically replied, 'yule, too!'. (get it? you, too-yule, too) LOL!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 12:39 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• no, it does not - i believe all people should have the right to express their religious beliefs in this country - i even send Happy Holiday cards to my Jewish friends and Merry Christmas cards to my Christian friends -
    kaysimon132461

Answer by kaysimon132461 at 12:51 PM on Oct. 8, 2010