Should I be feeding my 9 week old baby 5 to 6 oz bottles every 3 to 4 hours?

My baby is 9 weeks today. She usualy drinks 4 oz bottles every 4 hours. This past week she has been drinking 5 to 6 oz bottles but she still wants to drink every 3 to 4 hours. Is that normal? Is it ok to feed her that much? Does it mean she is getting close to needing cereal?

nfutter

Asked by nfutter at 9:29 PM on Oct. 25, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• growth spurt :) should be back to normal or maybe a little above the old normal after about a week or 2

no, it doesn't mean she's any closer to solids though.
    Anonymous

• she's fine. i don't think she needs cereal, i'd wait and ask her ped. about that.
    myboogiewoogie

Answer by myboogiewoogie at 9:31 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• My little grandson...same age...is doing the same thing. And then barfing it everywhere. We've been clueless. He acts like he always hungry but them seems uncomfy. Sorry I can't give an answer, but at least you know you're not alone.
    profmom922

Answer by profmom922 at 9:32 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• my daughter did the same thing and she is 13 weeks now and eating 7 to 8 oz every 4 hours. It definately could be a growth spurt but she could just be getting a bigger stomach. if she is spitting up a lot then i would cut back a little but it absolutely normal.
    burtney0921

Answer by burtney0921 at 10:17 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• Growth spurt. Most pediatricians recommend waiting at LEAST until baby is 4 months old to start cereal. It reduces the risk of allergies and asthma. I know feeding them that often kinda drives ya crazy LOL
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 11:31 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• My twins are the same age and are eating the same amount as your baby. The dr said its fine and not to give them cereal. Some babies just eat more than others.
    StaceeyL

Answer by StaceeyL at 11:34 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• Thank you to everyone for your answers. They are all great answers and great help. I feel much better about things!!!!!
    nfutter

Answer by nfutter at 1:38 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Hey, Nicke, I agree....growth spurt. Hannah did that off and on, and would go back to regular feedings afterwards....
    Kayte925

Answer by Kayte925 at 9:46 AM on Oct. 29, 2008