did you know that the X in Xmas isn't cutting out Christ?

http://www.suite101.com/content/xmas-is-historic-christian-word-for-christmas-a84812

X Stands for Christ

Xmas is derived from a mixture of Greek and English. Greeks used X as the symbol for Chi, Christo or Xristo. X is the Greek symbol for Christ. In early Christian times, X was used as the symbol for Christ himself.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:51 AM on Oct. 8, 2010 in Holidays

• I did know that and I have taught my children that! They like to tell other people about it when someone says it is disrespectful to write "X". :)
    armyofmany

Answer by armyofmany at 10:54 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Makes me wonder what the "O" means..........you know how we post or write....XOXOXO

I never felt X was X--ing out Christ........people get upset about it, though you are right Anon.

AND "X" marks the spot too! Maybe thats where all the pirates found Christ, instead of pirate booty! "X" on the maps was Christ!
    I know...being silly here......but Christ and the "X" have been around for some time!

Yay for X !
    LilyPondOasis

Answer by LilyPondOasis at 10:55 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• People who worry about the "X" is just worrying a bit too much! Its a fast way to write/type...
    But that is interesting!
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 10:56 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• XOXOXO....kisses and hugs
    armyofmany

Answer by armyofmany at 11:09 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I knew that :P
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 11:16 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I don't believe in Christ, nor does my hubby. We just celebrate Christmas because its joyous, but we don't believe that the Christ part of Christmas makes it all about Christ. Our Christmas's aren't religious. I write X-mas, and if people want to think I'm ex-ing out Christ, let them. I cant X out something I don't believe in.
    Becca1189

Answer by Becca1189 at 12:12 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Cool peice of info!
    4_28_bbboy

Answer by 4_28_bbboy at 2:09 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• i heard that before
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 10:49 PM on Oct. 13, 2010