Do you feel totally lost when your kid asks you to help with their homework?

My daughter's not in school yet, but I used to help several of my cousins with their homework. Two are still in elementary school and one is in middle school. I graduated from high school with straight A's and I like to consider myself pretty smart, well book-smart anyways. lol. I swear the ones in elementary school (around1st grade) are doing things I didn't do until I was almost in 3rd or 4th grade!! Some of the things they bring home I have no idea what it is. It makes me feel super dumb, like I'm the one that needs to be in school. lol.

poptart0325

Asked by poptart0325 at 10:51 AM on Oct. 8, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• sometimes i have trouble understanding DD's directions on her homework. The way they word things sometimes is just bizaar! DH & i are looking at each other thinking "ok, are we complete idiots that we cannot help her with homework?" I feel like they teach in a very abstract way these days. Why cant she just come home with a sheet of 25 math problems? They have to get all fancy & make it more complicated than just doing math. It's ridiculous!

I HAVE had to look some stuff up on the internet sometimes. When she started long division (in 3rd grade mind you! i was in 5th when we started long division!) i had to do a search online to refresh my memory on how to do it...lol, you betcha i felt dumb!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:57 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I was a the top female in my school in math, but I do not understand the way math is done today. I definitely feel that I need to take a class in the methods they are using. Not because I cannot come up with the answers, I just do not want to confuse my granddaughter with two different methods. I t will be great when she reaches the point she can understand both and integrate them. Things to do before she starts kindergarten.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 10:56 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• depends on the subject, sometimes. I don't agree with HW personally, so its not worth any amount of stress. If we can't figure it out, its skipped and handled at school the next day where the trained educators are.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 11:17 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Things are definitely very different now. I have a hard time helping my son with math because the terminology is so different adn I am terrible at math to begin with!
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 9:03 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• nope i enjoy hm wrk
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 1:01 AM on Oct. 9, 2010