Moving

Do you have a descent system for packing and moving to a new place?
I am starting to get shakes because I am supposed to move very soon, have all the packing materials etc, and reduced the amount of stuff I have and still will give a bunch away during this process.
How would you do it? I am seriously lacking encouragement, but the apartment I am getting is fantastic and a lot of things are already there it is partially furnished. That is also why I am getting anxious about what to get rid of or what to take with me.
I keep shaking just thinking about it, I often get anxiety attacks because of the health issues.

BeaMoore

Asked by BeaMoore at 10:52 AM on Oct. 8, 2010 in Home & Garden

• tart with the stuff you can live with out. Books, china, wall decor, knic-nacs, extra blankets and clothes that are not in season. Pack the kids stuff last and don't seal the boxes until a few days before you depart.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:55 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Pack one room at a time. For example, start with the den. Then mark the box clearly saying "Den". Then move on the the next room, marking that box with the title of what room it is. Pack everything you're not going to need from now until you move. Put all the packed boxes into the first room that you pack up. So that they're out of the way of you guys living your day to day lives until you move. Have a packing party. Gather up all the things into the center of each room that need to be packed. Then invite friends and family over for a light lunch and ask them to help you pack. You kids can even help pack their own rooms if they're old enough.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:58 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Make sure you LABEL all the boxes as to which room they go in. Even mark... or get those labels for the tops of the boxes and write down a few items as to what is in the box so you know. Kitchen things are the easiest ! It is best to have a system.

Good luck and enjoy your new place!
    LilyPondOasis

Answer by LilyPondOasis at 11:03 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I would use a different color marker for each room and make a list of all of your boxes and number them and on your master list make sure you know what is in those boxes. When you move into the new place make sure that you put a label over each room indicating what color goes to what room. You can also use this with marking trash bags ans using ribbon. I got these ideas from fly lady.com and actually put them to use and it helped with the moving process and the unpacking as well.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:16 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Fortunately I don't have my son's stuff, he lives with my soon to be ex. But I have a lot of crafts and art materials plus quite a few finished items. Thos need the most attention and care, since I am trying to make more and keep selling them.But it is so overwhelming, probably of me being severely bipolar and ADHD.
    Thank you so much for responses, because that will give me a starting point and from that I will just keep going.
    BeaMoore

Comment by BeaMoore (original poster) at 11:21 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I like to think of it as vacationing in your old place. You pack, pack, pack stuff away, until you're basically living out of a suitcase for the last few days. Last time we moved, I realized how little I actually use day-to-day. It was really rather enlightening.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 11:35 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I think all of these posts are great tips and I've moved a lot! I also like to label each box with a few items that are in the boxes so I'll know what to unpack first. You don't want to open every box because you're looking for one necessary item. I also pack a box of first night/morning must haves. Things like: bedding, towels, soap, shampoo and conditioner for that first shower, THE SHOWER CURTAIN LOL (if you need one), the coffee pot and a mug or two with enough coffee for one pot (double bagged so your sheets won't smell like coffee, some snacks, and last but not least, Advil for those tired muscles or headache from stressing over breaking anything. ;-) Get the bed set up first thing, then unpack until you are almost comatose. Take a hot shower and fall into your freshly made bed. The hot shower will help those aching muscles! Good luck and enjoy your new digs!
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 3:35 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• start a room at a time, clearly label cardboard boxes which room it is, even write whats in the box too!
    first off have a good clear out
    good luck
    san78

Answer by san78 at 4:05 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Set up bedrooms and beds first- you'll be tired and will need some where to sleep that first night. Kitchen next. Keep out a box or 2 for needed items-sponges, cleaners, scissors, tape, TP, and PT kitchen and bath towels, wash cloths and a change of clothes for you and your kids-this is your emergency box and stays with YOU and no one else. Also all cell phones, computers and their cords and telephone/address books stay with you. I had a child get very sick on moving day and I needed to make an MD trip, order antibiotics etc...

We have always used movers. When we were young and poor, we packed and had movers. The last few moves we  have  utilized Co provided movers for relocation purposes. It's work and an exhausting process, no matter what-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 10:13 PM on Oct. 8, 2010