My 2 yr old is driving me nuts, what are ways you don't go crazy?

Today, we went to the library, it was time to go after our group and we picked out a couple of books. She started screaming,crying, and yelling NO the whole time. People were giving me faces. I was trying to pick her up and leave, but she was kicking and squirming her way out. I even told her it's the library you need to be quiet. I then just dropped everything and grabbed her and stuff and finally left. We go shopping put her the cart and now she's trying to unbuckle and throwing a tantrum. I can't go ANYWHERE without her doing this. It's crazy, I rush to do anything anymore because of this.

halfpint2000

Asked by halfpint2000 at 10:55 AM on Oct. 8, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My sons almost 2, but he's already started rge tantrums. I try to only take him out with me after he's had his afternoon nap. This way he's not fighting the fact that he's tired/ but cant sleep because we are out. I also make shure I have little snacks in my bag. He really likes suckers. And I bring his favourite blanket and his toy dog. I also dont buckle him in the cart because he likes to play with straps. He wants to try and put them together byhimself. -It keeps him busy.
    I hope some of this helps. Good luck.
    ness_033

Answer by ness_033 at 11:01 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• my son is 21/2 and he had these tantrums but then i started to let him help me... like walk with me and help pick things up to put them in the cart. one day you have to teach them how to, why not start now. he doesn't have those problems anymore.. i let him help. he really has grown because of it to.
    Mrs.Ro

Answer by Mrs.Ro at 2:19 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• My daughter can get like this. When she does I make sure she knows that when we get home she can't play with her toys. And that straightens her right up (she knows I'm serious).

Try distractions, they tend to help. Example: if you are leaving the library, ask him/her if they want to do such and such now? Like go play with fav toy at home or help pick out ? at store, etc. This helps too.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 5:20 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Sounds a lot like my almost 3-year-old son. I have to second Mrs.Ro's suggestion about letting them "help" - I let my son help push the shopping cart, put stuff in it, or even carry something. That has surprisingly made outings not so dreadful. Maybe your daughter can carry her books to the checkout?

Sometimes though, dropping everything and leaving is still the only option for us (especially when my patience is already running on empty).
    phoofy

Answer by phoofy at 10:39 PM on Oct. 8, 2010