17 month old cheeks red. Need opinions! PLEASE!

My daughter woke up fine this morning but all of a sudden around nap time her cheeks started getting real red. She has not been in the sun at all. She did have a low grade fever a few days ago, but has been fine since. She has little pimple like rash in various places on her legs and arms; at first I thought it was mosquito bites, but they are spreading. She is kinda fussy too.

Her cheeks are just so red. It's like someone slapped her face (beleive me, nobody did) or she is sunburned. I'm baffled!

rcbrown

Asked by rcbrown at 9:34 PM on Oct. 25, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• she's got roseola, its a virus it gives them a lacy type rash on their trunk and a slapped face look. once the rash shows it is no longer contagious. it will just run it's course, but call your dr. just to be sure.
    myboogiewoogie

Answer by myboogiewoogie at 9:36 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• look into Fifth Disease, also known as Slapped Cheek Syndrome.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fifth_disease

it's a virus that you have to let run it's course, here's a link to what you can do for it to help some though

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/fifth_disease/page6_em.htm#Fifth%20Disease%20Treatment

flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 9:36 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• It COULD also just be eczema since the air is drier.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:38 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• oops, that's the one I meant to say, fifth disease.
    myboogiewoogie

Answer by myboogiewoogie at 9:41 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• myboogiewoogie- I thought of the one you said too :) but it didn't seem to go with the body rash.
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 9:42 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• sounds like fifth's disease, yes, but it could be strep or scarlet fever as well. sounds like a dr.s visit is in order. hope she feels better soon.
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 9:50 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• Oh my! Thanks ladies! Scarlet fever? I guess I am dumb but I did not think that was still around in this day and age! It's funny, KnoxvilleDoula, my mom and I both noticed that she sounded hoarse today and her nose was running a few days ago.
    rcbrown

Answer by rcbrown at 9:55 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• yeah it's still around, crazy, huh? anyway, get it checked out and you and she will feel better soon.
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 10:12 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• What you're describing is exactly how my daughter reacts to her food allergies.
    So check with your doc- if they can rule out the other illnesses listed here... look into new foods.
    emhain

Answer by emhain at 11:41 PM on Oct. 25, 2008