• In the Spotlight:

15 month old will not eat or drink enough.HELP

My 15 month old DD will not eat these last few days,all she wants is cut up apple ,goldfish crackers, cheese strings and odd formula bottle.
If I 'm lucky I may be able to get a few bites of yogurt into her but nothing else, she refuses to eat at mealtimes as well, I'm beginning to worry, is this just a phase ? what can I do to encourage her to eat?

Also I don't think she is drinking as much as she should be...she's peeing but doesn't seem to be taking so much in.

AshleyRoseG

Asked by AshleyRoseG at 11:07 AM on Oct. 8, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Give her cups of water. LOTS of kids go through a no eat phase. It is fine. She will eventually start to eat again. She won't starve. Just keep offering healthy foods and allow her to graze if she wants. Don't worry mom.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:10 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I always wondered how my son was still alive with the tiny amount he ate. She can live on string cheese and apples. She won't starve. Eventually she will eat more.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:12 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• My son went through that last month for about a week or two. I started puting his food on his tray in a design and he loved it and that helped then before i knew it he was doing fine again and eating anything. Good luck and try to keep up with the water. If he wont take the water put a little juice in it and water it down so it just adds a little bit of a flavor to it. Dont worry yourself to much.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 11:13 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• this is when they start asserting thier independance. start giving her choices like do you want a piece of turkey or a few grapes. also let her know that you are in control not her. if she doesnt want to eat what is offered then she doesnt eat. she wont let herself starve and eventually will eat what you are offering. as far as drinking is concerned as long as she is wetting at least 6 diapers a day she is fine.
    Tfor2

Answer by Tfor2 at 12:50 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Normal :) My son did it too. He started eating fine again. Probubly just a phase, or her teeth could be bothering her or something!
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 1:07 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Ok lady, every kid goes to a no eating phase I would say don't push it give her what ever she wants that's what I do with my boy also talk to her doctor and give her vitamins you are lucky she's taking apples and cheese mine would just eat yougurt all day long................ Don't worry what his doctor told me was ""IT'S NORMAL""
    krystal2010

Answer by krystal2010 at 2:00 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Is your child teething? My daughter just went through this phase.. And as other posters have said when your baby is hungry he will eat....... I read an article that said instead of worrying about what they eat one or two days consider what they eat over the course of a week... Some days they may eat next to nothing and some days they will eat everything in sight. I would offer more fluids like water throughtout the day.
    navyjen

Answer by navyjen at 2:01 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Also, your daughter will know if your stressing about it. OUr children sense our stress. So dont stress it just offer her good healthy foods and if she doesnt eat it try it again later. Say ok your not hungry now lets go play. Dont letting eating become something to stress over...
    navyjen

Answer by navyjen at 2:03 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• try to give her options with her meals.. Example, still give the string cheese, but put out some other kinds of fruit she hasn't had with it.

Also sit with her at meal times. Sometimes they like to try things off YOUR plate, lol. IF they know you like it they are more apt to try it.

I also found that singing the song from yo gabba gabba seems to encourage my DD to try things, "try it, you'll like it".
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 5:23 PM on Oct. 8, 2010