Tose of you that go half on the bills w/so or hubby.

I ended up getting a job because frankly w/hubbys income, we were just not making it, it was leading to fights about him not trying hard enough, so i ended up getting a job so that way things can seem fair, now my question is how should i or we split the bills, b4 i became a sahm he would pay the rent&all the bills& i would take us shopping & we would go out to eat w/my money, but now i want to make things different, would it be fair for both of us to go half on all the bills, itold hubby that this is what i wanted to do but he refused, any other ideas on how we should split the bills or what i should pay?

gabby06

Asked by gabby06 at 11:09 AM on Oct. 8, 2010 in Money & Work

• we share incomes jointly, its not his or mine, although we do set aside a little for fun stuff, but going 1/2 and 1/2 sounds more like what roommates would do (to me).
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 11:12 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• it's up to you, you could possibly just pay one bill such as the cable bill, or you can use your money to pay off extras sooner, like add an extra $100 to the car payment to pay it off sooner....or save money towards a downpayment on a house
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 11:12 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• My husband and I both put our checks into a joint account. We pay all of the bills out of what is left, and do what we want with what is left. That being said, our medical, dental and vision comes out of my check before I get it, and money goes into our savings from his before we get it. Works for us.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 11:13 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• We handle it the same as mommy11260. I don't have my own money, he doesn't have his own money, it all goes in one place and gets spent the same (lucky for him since I am making more now)..lol
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 11:17 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Joint account. Pay everything from it. Problem solved. It works for us.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 11:18 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• We don't have joint checking, but I am in the process of making our budget and I want to split it so that no more than 50% of each of our incomes go to pay the household expenses. That way we both have a little left as well as taking care of our own personal responsibilities like car insurance and gas for our individual cars.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:20 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• You should pool your money together and pay out of that. I never understood this "his" money and "my" money concept. Like a PP said, it sounds more like a roommate setup than a marriage.
    Anonymous

• My money is his money and his money is my money. All money goes into one account and the budget is created together. How would you have liked it if he didn't share a red cent with you when you were a SAHM?
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 4:50 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• We ddon't have separate money. It all goes into one account, we have a budget that we do every month that determines what bills need paid and where the money goes (clothes, groceries, etc.). We spend based on our budget.
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 5:05 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I agree with Sherri and Candi. My husband makes the majority of the money but it's till OUR money and OUR bills. However I do think it's okay for you to pay all the bills and then have his and her money. Just decide before hand how much that is and have both you and your husband agree to it.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 7:18 PM on Oct. 8, 2010