Do you have to get a permit to release a bunch of balloons into the air?

For a fun idea at one of our group fundraisers for my Susan Komen walk team, I thought of releasing balloons with notes attached that have facts about breast cancer on one side and a memory of a lost friend/family member, or word of support on the other.

I'm obviously hoping it will be a big hit and we will have a good bit of balloons to release.

Do you think this would be in need of a permit? (Obviously I'm going to call the local police department and find out... but what is your opinion on if it would need one or not?)

*For the environmentalists - I am one too... please view my next question as I am not wanting to completely destroy the community nor planet over this event idea.*

Memigen

Asked by Memigen at 11:11 AM on Oct. 8, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• How big of a bunch. Where will you be releasing them from. Call the city hall.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 11:12 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I would challenge anyone to figure out where the balloons they see in the sky came from? lol
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 11:12 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• In many cities it is illegal. I wish it was illegal in all cities though.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 11:27 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Isn't that a terrible thing for the environment? I think it kills marine life because they eat the popped balloons that land everywhere. Maybe find something to do that isn't littering.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:14 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Zoey... that was another idea I had... possibly leaving a note asking people to call when they find one of these ntoes and maybe sending them a small gift (breast cancer awaresness related) and giving a gift to the person who the balloon belonged to. :)
    Memigen

Comment by Memigen (original poster) at 11:19 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• mompam, are you being a smart aleck or did you just not read the entire question?
    Memigen

Comment by Memigen (original poster) at 11:20 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I haven't said for sure if I am doing it yet have I jenellemarie? Why don't you take a chill pill and go find someone else's question to loiter on and bash? I chose her answer because it had more of a factul backing than the opinionated answers that followed, including yours. I DO plan to look into it further and I DO (as I stated in a comment on that question) plan that IF I do this to use something else biodegradable for the string. I DO NOT appreciate your actions here.
    Memigen

Comment by Memigen (original poster) at 11:44 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• *factual
    Memigen

Comment by Memigen (original poster) at 11:45 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Well unfortunately after closing your other question and not listening to how harmful it is to release balloons (the link you chose as best answer was from a balloon company...go figure) it sounds like you are going to continue with your balloon release anyway. It is convenient to pretend like you aren't doing any harm when you have and idea set in your head.
    I would suggest standing up for what you beleive in before organizing devastating "events."
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 11:33 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Maybe I came off a little bitchier than I intended but this is a very important topic for me. I have done extensive research on this topic (I thought about a balloon release at my wedding) and found that there is no way (biodegradable or not) to do this responsibly. As some one who stated that you were an "environmentalist" I would think you would be more inclined to take into the account the actual damage that releasing balloons can do.
    There IS a "paper" ballooon (I would have posted the link but you closed your question as soon as you got an answer you wanted to hear) that is shaped like a dove. I was still not comfortable with the idea, but if you are going to do a release anyway, and are truly concerned about environmental impact, this is your best bet. Maybe you need to take the chill pill. I did not get upset, just annoyed. http://www.joylanterns.com/proinfo.asp?id=87
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 12:03 PM on Oct. 8, 2010