Reconstituted Porcinis. I used dry mushrooms once and they were chewy and not good. I followed the directions in reconstituting. Any suggestions. I threw the bag of procinis out.

Rachel Raye used them today on her show. She made white meat chicken and porcini shepherd pie. It looked and sounded great. Also very economical. Porcinis dehydrated are so inexpensive at our local chinese food store.

tootoobusy

Asked by tootoobusy at 11:15 AM on Oct. 8, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Porcinis are chewy naturally. The have a very strong woody kind of flavor. I've always thought the flacor intensified when they were dried. To reconstitute should be just soaking theem in water, wine or broth for a few minutes. It sounds like what you had was just regular porcinis. Not our favorite.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:21 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Maybe the ones you bought were stale. I have done it before with success, but they will get old & taste stale.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:18 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I try to buy fresh. But, I do use the dried ones. I've used the porcini and the shitake the most. You just have to be certain you have soaked them long enough before you use them. Instructions are merely guidelines. Test your mushrooms before you use them in your recipe to make sure they are fully reconstituted.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 11:24 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Green Eyed Grandma, What is your favorite?
    tootoobusy

Comment by tootoobusy (original poster) at 11:27 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Personally we love Baby Bellas and Shitake.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:21 PM on Oct. 8, 2010