Do you think texting is ruining the English language?

Anymore it's ridiculous! My mother told me when I first got texting on my phone that I would most likely stop spelling correctly, well I never did, I don't use acronyms ever. I've noticed a great deal on Facebook, and Myspace all those teenagers whom use it. "i cnt wait 2 c u" REALLY?? It makes me think of them as illiterate idiots. What's going to happen over time will be that people's IQ and education will drop. It just makes me irate to see it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:19 AM on Oct. 8, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• no i think the cost of texting is making people shorten their words to save a few pennies
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 11:21 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• "and Myspace all those teenagers WHO use it."

Some people don't use good grammar either.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 11:21 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• i agree with you.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 11:23 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• No, I don't think it is ruining it. I know many teens than can communicate in proper grammatical form and punctuation. I do believe it is creating a whole new language. So, kids are essentially bi-lingual.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:24 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• The truth is for younger people such as teen it does have some effect. I find that some teens in my family are getting so use to it that they are forgetting how to spell more words correctly now. They know what they are saying and are using it in correct terms but spelling for important documents and test are beginning to become slack
    Cheveyo1

Answer by Cheveyo1 at 11:24 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• i hate it too. I don't think it saves them money, i think it saves them texting time. It's a lot less "clicks" to write "C U later" than "see you later" It's laziness really...lol. I think it looks uneducated aswell. I really hope it won't have an impact on our language...But i can see how it might after a while.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:26 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I think cell phones are worse no matter whether it's texting or talking.... They take attention away, and a divice becomes more important than talking face to face, and human interaction..... I don't text, it takes too long, and it's very impersonal. I saw someone texting on her phone while driving on a 70mph state hwy, she hit the shoulder, almost wrecked, and when I went by she was still holding her phone and looking down at it, and taking the off ramp. I don't give a rats ass about how people talk, I just wish they would use their brains!!!
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:27 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Oh my goodness YES. I just got a flier on my door the other day for advertisement. I kid you not it read something to the effect of: "There is 4G connection in you area!" and further down "Get a connection you can take with you when u move!" - SERIOUSLY!? I want to know who designed that ad. I want that person's job. I can't stand when people use the 'shortcuts' when they have a full keyboard in front of them. I can accept shortening for text messages (I do that too) but when I have the full keyboard, I write correctly.
    Cenchan

Answer by Cenchan at 11:29 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I text - a lot of my grown up friends do as well. It's quick, and with everyone's busy schedules, it feels less intrusive. None of us use shorthand, I think the "saving money" thing is a crock; you pay by the text (160 characters, I think?), not by the letter. It is laziness - or ease if you don't have a qwerty keyboard.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 11:31 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Geeze *for AN advertisement.
    Cenchan

Answer by Cenchan at 11:36 AM on Oct. 8, 2010