eating their vegetables

My son is 6 and will not even try a vegetable, he use to love them when he was a toddler. Not sure how I can get him to even try them, any ideas?

nicolew_83

Asked by nicolew_83 at 11:19 AM on Oct. 8, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Keep putting them in front of him and enforce the no thank you bites. Meaning he has to eat 3 bites, and then he can say No thank you. Always offer one thing you know he will eat and 2 you don't. He only gets one serving of the favorite one unless he finishes the serving or the not favored one.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:22 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• My son gets to pick out a fruit/veggie whenever we go to the grocery store(I've done that since he was tiny). Sometimes it's something he's never had, sometimes he picks out his favorites, just depends. He also has 'helped me cook' since he was little. He feels invoved and in charge when he gets to pick something out and help cook, which in turn makes him want to eat it~~because it was his idea afterall wink wink lol. ;) Good luck.
    kksmomma1019

Answer by kksmomma1019 at 11:24 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• He may want to dip the viggies in ranch. That works for a lot of kids.

He is old enough to help you in the kitchen, maybe if he helps you make dinner he may want to eat what he made?
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 12:08 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• My kids don't have a choice.  They have to try everything on their plate every time I make it and have to eat at least one of the vegetables I serve (we usually have 2 different kinds).  I've never had a problem with them eating their veggies.  Half the time that's all my 8yo wants and picks at her meat and potatoes/rice.  It's so ingrained in their heads now that when we go out to eat at our favorite buffet place they automatically pick a veggie because they know that's the rule.  They have to have at least some kind of meat and 1 veggie or they don't get ice cream.  It's been that way since they were toddlers.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:05 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• get him to help you cook....or have him pick the veggie of the day.....
    Raw veggies...have him make up his own special dipping sauce....let him pick from condiments & spices to make up HIS special sauce...AND TRY IT YOURSELF cuz altho some sound gross they actually taste pretty good.
    Carey2006

Answer by Carey2006 at 10:59 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• let him help with the menu
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 1:01 AM on Oct. 9, 2010

• My daughter doesn't get a choice. And I don't go for a lot of "dipping sauces" and such, as that's a lot of added sugars and fats. She really enjoys eating the vegetables that we grow together in our own garden, but she also knows that whatever the vegetable is and wherever it came from, if it's served then not eating it is not an option.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 1:46 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• Not optional in my house either. I tell them to eat their vegetables, they eat their vegetables. My youngest? He's tried to get away with not eating his vegetables a few times - but he really doesn't like getting sent to bed immediately following dinner.
    Gaccck

Answer by Gaccck at 3:35 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• They have no choice than to eat what I serve or they can not eat.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 5:22 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• By telling them to eat their vegetables - and not giving them a choice.
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 9:20 AM on Oct. 10, 2010