21 month old bursts into tears when on the potty?

I know it is too soon for her. I started my oldest when she turned 2 and she had it down pat in 4 months. But today, I ran out of diapers and figured I might as well let her try it since she's going without a diaper to the store. I said "wanna go pee pee on the potty?" and she was super excited, running to the bathroom. She stood in front of the potty, and I asked her again, again she said yes. As soon as I put her on, she screamed. I kind of pittled around for a few minutes and left her there to see if the crying would atleast stop but it didn't. I'm not going to try again til after her 2nd birthday but in 3 months I'm not sure if much will change in the crying department. Did your children ever do this and if so how do you help them overcome it?

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 11:22 AM on Oct. 8, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Mine is five and he does the same thing when he has to wipe his own butt, it's the end of the world you know life is tough when you're 2-now ;)
    littlestar85257

Answer by littlestar85257 at 1:29 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Try a smaller potty or a seat insert. She may be scared because it is big for her butt. LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:25 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• oh good idea braden. i didnt think of that, the potty i put her on is the one my oldest uses. its the kind that has 2 seats, one for bigger adult butts and one for smaller potty trained butts. i guess when i try i should put her on the little one that sits on the floor. thanks!
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 11:28 AM on Oct. 8, 2010