What if...

In light of this firefighter not being paid drama I would like to know what if it was an EMT that let a man die because he did not pay his ambulance or hospital bills. Would you be OK with that because he got what he deserved? Think about it this man lost everything his home his clothes his belongings all the memories in the house all the memories they will never have in the house etc etc.

delilahsmom1177

Asked by delilahsmom1177 at 11:39 AM on Oct. 8, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• EMTs are held accountable by law. They are obligated to help or they could be arrested. Well it is that way in this state anyway. It is the same with nurses and doctors. EMTs and Paramedics are legally obligated to help.
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 11:41 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• If the ambulance was a prepay sort of deal and I had received a letter stating this year after year. And already had at least one run in where I was helped despite the fact I didn't pay with a warning that I needed to pay..then, yes.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:43 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• It's sad but they had the chance to pay like everyone else. The guy said "he would cover the cost, no matter what, just put it out" OBVIOUSLY he had that money. He said himself " I thought if I didn't pay they woud still come, well I was wrong" How would it be far to the people who HAVE paid into it. There are similar laws that have been around for a whil in places where people have invested tons of $$... I am pretty sure there is some kind of law stating the EMT's have to get their best shot at saving a persons life... A little dramatic much delilah
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 11:43 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• It does SUCK, but you want the help you should pay.

What if nobody paid there would not be a firemen anyway.

They need the money to run the fire house so they can help people.

gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:44 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• So..if I don't pay taxes, don't pay for my gas at the pump, don't pay for my groceries at the store because I don't feel like it..is that ok too?
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:44 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I agree with you OP. I think what they did was heinous...and I see what you mean about EMTs. However, a medical professional is bound by law to help regardless, but those firefighters were sending a message..."You don't pay, you lose everything." BTW... 4 animals lost their lives in that fire, and they were the grandkids' pets! I hope the firefighters get some kind of animal cruelty charge.
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 11:46 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I believe there are laws about giving medical care regardless of the ability to pay. A house is not a life. You can pick up and move on (having learned a lesson!) and rebuild. Worse things happen to people all around the world every single day.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 11:48 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Op in most areas~medical and fire department are held to 2 separate standards. You might want to research your local law and learn more on the differences.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:48 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• That is also like saying," Hey, my boss won't pay me, but, I come to work everyday and do my job." DUH....I will stop showing up..EVEN if their business is failing.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:49 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• The county and the state should be responsible and intelligent enough to make all public servants and their institutions tax supported so that this kind of thing would never happen! The whole idea of paying $75. for a fireman to put out the fire is totally sucky.And the fact that some of the firemen WANTED to put out the fire but were afraid they would be "canned" is pathetic too. How can anyone with a heart support this ?
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 11:55 AM on Oct. 8, 2010